new to this got a 96-97 hardtrax Saracen - advice?

catbacon12

Retro Newbie
heyup.
So when i say new to this well i haven't ridden in 20 years, when mucking about as a kid.
Ive been given a bike a Hardtrax Saracen and its really fun but quite honestly i dont have a clue!

I know theres much better bikes out there and tbh i dont care. Id quite like to make this bike my own as i like modding stuff but not kill what makes it fun. Part of me wants to keep it retro and the other wants to do a modernize/crossover for more fun.

So...
What would you do ? and please dont say chuck it, im keeping it just looking for advise.

some specs ive noted down:

Saracen hardtrax
Seat Madison gel
Shimano altus sis sb-ct90 gear shifters
Ergo ring plasticho cassano handle bars
26.4 written on the seat post ???
Tyre Richey mega z bite max
Rims - Etrto 559x19 din Alesa alloy 4019-26x1.75"
Gears 7x3 = 21speed ?
Shimano hyperdrive c - crank set fc ct 90 (found after googling it this is under recall?!!)
wtf are the things on the handlebars that stick forward?

Attachments

• 20171208_163615.jpg
    20171208_163615.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 675
Re:

Nothing! Just continue having fun on it and, in time, it will become apparent if there's something that will make it more fun for you.

Having said that, if you're worried about the cranks, replace them. And if you haven't ridden a bike for years, you might have forgotten what a difference tyre choice can make.

Those things pointing forwards are bar ends: they're unnecessary - most modern bikes don't have them - but they can give you a change of hand position and enable a more forwards position, which can help with climbing.

Re:

Hiya mate.

What advice are looking for? It seems you are smitten enough.

Just ride it and enjoy it. Inflate the tyres, lube chain and get used to it, get a feel for any improvements you may want to make.

It's a good bike for most purposes.

It's a pretty basic model that would have been about £250 when it was new, but bikes like that tend to ride and last well

26.4 written on the seat post

this is the diameter of the seatpost. Useful to know if you want to replace it, you would need another 26.4

Tyre Richey mega z bite max

a popular tyre round here, especially with the amber sidewalls

Rims - Etrto 559x19 din Alesa alloy 4019-26x1.75"

Alesa 4019 is the model of rim
The other numbers are the size, expressed two different ways. They take standard 26 inch mountain bike tyres, which is all you need to worry about

Gears 7x3 = 21speed

yup, 21 speed.

Shimano hyperdrive c - crank set fc ct 90 (found after googling it this is under recall?!!)

these were recalled back in the day. you can easily pick up a cheap crank here if you want to replace it

wtf are the things on the handlebars that stick forward?

bar ends. Give extra hand positions and are good for getting weight forward while climbing

Don't assume a new bike will be better. You can walk into a local bike shop with £400 and come out with a entry level big brand bike with tourney derailleurs and freewheel, weak 700c wheels and naff gripshifters for a hybrid or the same tourney derailleurs and freewheel on a hardtail mountain bike with poor front shocks that have a very short life. That Saracen looks a very solid bike with well chosen components if they sold it new today with equivalent components it would likely be £500-800 if it is freehub based not freewheel. In recent years chromoly tubing/frames have gone up in price and aluminium has become the norm. If you get the cycling bug and later decide to upgrade to a new bike remember a test ride won't always reveal the long term reliability of a bike and its components. That said if the Saracen components are heavily worn they may need replacing. A new cassette, chain and chainset can be purchased for sub £40 if you are careful shopping although the chainset would likely be quite basic for that, heavy and steel but more than fit for purpose. Seems a nice bike if freehub based and even if freewheel fit for purpose. Freewheels have gone down in quality as they have become entry level only nowadays. Many bikes nowadays don't even feature Shimano freewheels but lower end generic chinese brand models.

Even if a £250 bike as suggested above. £250 bought a lot in 1997 and the pound had a high value. 20 years on the £ is worth far less. That would be something like £430 in todays money but the dollar to pound back then was almost 1.7 so getting on 700 plus dollars worth assuming the Saracen is mainly imported parts with just assembly in the UK.

I bought an old Marin bike for £10 of similar vintage. It was about £280 new, freehub gearing and decent step up components all round. Strong chromoly frame and forks. I wouldn't touch one of their newer bikes under about £600.

Re:

For general mucking around on like you did 20 years ago that Saracen will be fine.
It's already lasted 20 years, I can't see many £250 bikes sold these days still being rideable in 20 years time!

Seems familiar. I have to go to my parents place and see how my bike from 20 years ago is doing, somewhere in a corner there is a Raleigh activator.

Funny thing is, I also did not touch a bike during 20 years until a year ago. Now I have 4 build up and a 2 or 3 in parts :D

And I am not counting that heavy piece of steel at my parents place :)

Just do whatever you like with your bike. Frame looks solid and that's what counts. The rest can be replaced and it hasn't to be expensive.

Start with replacing the brakes. Then find a good, lightweight seat. Those are two improvements that you will notice right away and make riding more enjoyable. From there I would get the best tires I could find for the area where you ride the most.

Back