Help reassembling LH Shimano thumb shifter

begrip

Retro Newbie
Hi all, I could use advice on putting a left hand Shimano thumb shifter (SL-MT62) back together. I've followed lrh's guide but I'm still not happy with how the shifter works.

With no inner wire attached, is it normal for the lever to become difficult to move past the 11:30 position?

The way I've reassembled the shifter, 11:30 is the position where the tabs on the shifter body line up with the slots on the spindle, and so under the load of the spring want to be forced apart. There's a physical stop at 12 o'clock, which doesn't make sense in this scenario as I can't move the lever past 11:30 without forcing it (which deformed the spring slightly...).
What's also confusing is the spring is right-handed, and so first uncoils and then re-coils. Wouldn't a left-handed spring that does the opposite have made more sense?

Did I put the shifter back together incorrectly or is this just how it's designed?

Many thanks!

Spring on spindle. Tab on shifter body aligns with highlighted slot. The lever moves in a clockwise direction and so uncoils the spring before re-coiling it. You can see how the spring was slighty deformed after it reached a point where it could uncoil no more.

Lever just past 11:30 position. You can see how if the spring was in, the two halves would be forced apart as their slots and tabs lined up.

Attachments

• PB180007.jpg
    PB180007.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 221
  • PB180009.jpg
    PB180009.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 221
Back