7speed cassette on 8 speed wheel?

LittleSkink

Retro Guru
I know this will have been asked before but I am still confused - possibly by my own LBS

Got a new 8 speed wheel and need to pop the 7 speed cassette off my old wheel on to it. Google confused me so I went to my local shop and they sold me a 1.85mm flat spacer and said that was right. I thought I needed a 4mm grooved one (to clear the rivets on the back of cassette) but they said no

Not pulled things apart yet as this is my commuter, so I dont want to be off the road while I am messing with it - any personal experience out there?

Re:

1.85mm is definitely too small - I've just had a rummage in my tool box and the spacer that I used in the past is more like 4mm, so your suspicions were correct...

Key thing is for cassette to be spaced out enough to allow the lockring to tighten on the wider free hub, so even several thinner spacers may do the job, as long as they're the correct diameter.

Hope that this helps a bit :)

4 or 4.5mm spacer, from an old cassette, or try your LBS, you might get it for free (I did).
Just put the spacer between the largest sprocket and spokes, and adjust your rear mechs limit screws.

Back