Extralite and KCNC V-Brakes

Oakleyman

Dirt Disciple
Hi there,

Before potentially opening up the wallet has anyone got these or had them before that could rate them for me in terms of performance and longevity?

Welcome all feedback....

Mark

Extralite are the most complete bike range for the weight weenie. All made in Italy and the weights claimed are spot on correct. I've had KCNC V brakes as well. But Extralite V's are better in finish and are the same weight and come in different colours.

Oakleyman":1xx6j2i7 said:
Cheers, so weight wise good but any review of the braking performance?

From my use. The kcnc levers are too flexible. Extalite are miles better. much stiffer. The Italian company maybe more £££ but are well worth the money. my Trimble is covered in their parts and it all works perfectly and weighs ultra light. I wouldn't use the stem cap as it's max nm is 2 i like a lot more than that. Oh and i wouldn't get the carbon springs again as a little to delicate for my heavy hands. Ti springs next time. i have pictures in my posts plus under my other self tintin40 pictures.

Re:

Agree with the above.

I've owned/used Extralite V's and they are light and work fine. A mate tried the KCNC's as a cheaper option and they are poop!...flexy as, and I doubt they'd last long at all :LOL:

Cheers

The KCNC levers are indeed very flexy....

Also a small but important detail on the V-brakes...
The KCNC (and AEST) cnc v brake ones rely on the full braking force pulling the noodle hanger via a tiny 3mm threaded stainless rod and an aluminium cable clamp bolt. And that curved top section is going to flex badly since the bracing is too low:

The Extralites uses a much better chunky aluminium noodle hanger, a Ti clamp bolt and a box section to give tension skins to the sides:

For a budget version, the XLC looks a lot better than KCNC etc on the fittings, but that spindly girder arrangement never going to be as stiff as the thin walled box section Extralite since again, the side bracing is all wrong:

I know which brakes I would trust my life on. Well worth the extra cost.

All the best,

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 915
  • Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 915
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 915
Re:

i have a set of ExtraLite UltraLevers and UltraBrakes which i picked up second hand and installed on my Merlin. not had any issues or complaints and feel it was money well spent! :cool:

Back