1988 Haro "Escape" ATB - Rare? Need Specs!

horochas

Retro Newbie
Hello all -
I purchased this Haro Escape today. Missing front derailleur, so it's set up as a 6 speed. I want to return it to original but I can't find a spec sheet. The only catalog reprint I have found online shows only the "Escape 20." Same graphics, handlebars and stem. Different rear derailleur, wheels, crank, etc. Mine has Biopace (I have the other rings) and Exage components. Any info. would be appreciated. I cannot find another online, and I'm guessing it may be a fairly rare bike. I'm well aware that rare doesn't always translate to valuable, but any thoughts on the rarity and desirability would be welcomed. My present thought is to use this for an "around town" and hard packed gravel bike.

P.S. sorry for cruddy pix. The second smaller image shows the bike with a period correct saddle. I ditched the nasty hard plastic blue one.

Attachments

• IMG_0859.jpg
    IMG_0859.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,017
  • IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,016
  • IMG_0860.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 1,014
That escape 20 is a totally different beast to yours as it’s a child’s version, which are usually massively downspecced. If you have what appears to be exage trail parts I would think these would be original.

Carl

Re: 1988 Haro Escape

Thanks Carl. That’s what I’ll go with for restore. Any thoughts on rarity? It’s bizarre to me that there shouldn’t be a trace of info. about this bike on the net. Perhaps there was a mini brochure for their ATBs that year? Seems they were an afterthought, Haro originating as a BMX producer. As understand, they only first started selling ATBs in 1986.

Exage trail was a semi serious group but still had lots of plastic and steel in the mix. This means that bikes that were fitted with it are overlooked a bit. Sometimes they are fairly decent frames with lower spec parts fitted. The makers knew that people would always would upgrade mechs, shifter and chain sets if the frame was decent. Is there anything on your frame that would identify it has having cro mo tubing, double butted or anything like that?

Carl

Re:

Yes, sticker indicates Cro-Mo 4130 “Tri-Moly.” No country of origin markings, so I’m guessing Taiwan for that vintage of bike. Araya rims, Joytech hubs, front stamped D87 and rear marked Sealed.

So Straight Gauge Cro-mo then, OK tubing that while not Gaspipe hi-ten comes in at the bottom of cro-mo ranges. It won't give a springy ride but will certainly last well.

Carl.

Wowee, has the kids one really got a Fusion chainring/spider and a chainstay U-brake? That's super cool!

Re:

Yeh, I picked up on that, too. Wish mine did, but whatever. I think both are pretty rare bikes. I swear I combed the net for a good hour and couldn’t find mine.

Re:

Here’s a catalog scan, provided by Haro.

Attachments

• 3694836E-F227-4E48-B91F-FD1A45E162E8.jpeg
    3694836E-F227-4E48-B91F-FD1A45E162E8.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 826
Back