This stem, what's it made of?

marc two tone

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Not sure but,

no magnetism. 150g. dull finish. no markings of any sort cr-mo/date.

Titanium in appearance but a chunky build, like aluminium. neat welding, like steel.

??

Attachments

• PICT0426.JPG
    PICT0426.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 759
  • PICT0427.JPG
    PICT0427.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 759
  • PICT0428.JPG
    PICT0428.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 759
Re:

Kalloy design/kore/etc steerer clamp

Only normally see that style bar clamping on early designs of ahead stems ?

Re:

If you find out it's density you will know whether it is aluminium or titanium.

Remove the bolts, then use Archimedes Principle to determine it's volume (submerge in water in a measuring beaker with a scale on the side to see the increase in volume. Or if your only measuring tool is a digital scale submerge in a totally full vessel of any kind, collect the overflowed water then weigh it, each 1g is 1cc volume).
So now you know it's volume.

Weigh it to determine it's weight.

Density = weight / volume

Density of aluminium alloys are typically approx 2750 kg/m3 (+/- a few percent depending on the alloy compound) whereas density of titanium alloys around 4500. That's enough of a difference that your calculated answer if done correctly will clearly indicate whether your stem is alu or ti.

(Correct formula is actually mass not weight but don't worry about this point for the purposes of this experiment).

Re:

Its a ROOX Titanium stem. I have one. Awesome bit of kit, with a double clamp bolt design both ends so you can get agressive on the bars, safely :D

Re:

Thanks guys for the heads up on it all.

Ben, i found it whilst looking for a BB for an up-coming build.

IIRC i bought it for a marin rocky ridge that i went A-head with upfront, but it all looked too metally...due to the polished alu frame. maybe 2-3 years ago now from either ebay or a jumble separately.

Back