Picked up a mountain goat Joule

jimh-1962

Retro Newbie
So I am looking for some levers and brake pedals for it. I won a 1995 mountain goat joule through a local auction. It has kooka crankset, answer Mantiou EFC shock, grip shifts, titec handlebars and stem. I think it has Shimano XTR. Plus all of the brake parts are Paul Component.

Link to some pictures of what I won:
https://www.thediffchico.com/auction/58 ... als-111976

It cost me about $45.00. Anyways, pretty cool find. I guess the local people did not know what it was or it would have sold for more.

Now, I have to see about replacing the grips plus shifters and add some pedals. I do not like the grip shift type of shift levers. I would think I could still ride it on some of the local trails once I get things in order. The shocks did not seem locked up. Can I even rebuild the shocks? The brakes work find just could not check the shifting is all since I did not have a set of pedals to test.

Is it smart of me for wanting to ride a 22 year old mountain bike? I know these bikes are getting rarer and more collectible. In 1994-5, I remember walking into a shop where mountain goats were sold and shocked at the sticker price. I ended up settling with another mountain bike and installing shocks on it.

Re:

Great and lucky find! I also own a Joule... they are a little more modern and user friendly than the earlier models. Tubing was oversized and good quality Tange. Make it safe and ride the darn thing

Re:

I took it to a local bike shop show specializes in vintage or retro bikes. He is going to find me a set of retro toe in straps and pedals. Plus, he is gonna look for a set of lever shifters which will work for a rear 8 speed xtr. I do not want to use the grip shifts. I did find a few sets on ebay.

Then simply clean up and start riding once more. The bike needs just a good cleaning and lubed.

What kind of brake levers are now mounted? If those are Paul Levers (like the brakes are), you should keep them. They are quite costly! Some bike shops tend to throw "that old junk" away. I would much rather buy a set of M900 Triggers with shifter perces, so you can mount them separately.

Re:

I am gonna keep the brake levers. I just want to replace the grip shifts since I never cared for those style of gear shifters.

The shop is not gonna throw anything away. He has quite a collection of vintage bikes on display. We talked about what I only want replaced.

Re:

Also, I plan on polishing all of the parts while leaving the anodizing finish. Gonna make it like a shiny new penny. I do not plan on doing any touch up or try to rub off any decals.

Mainly, I just it in working order for some upper park riding.

Back