Reasonably priced new v-brake XC rims

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
What’s out there for XC these days?

I’ve seen Mavic XM317 and if course XC717 which is much more expensive.

Other options around the 400-450g mark?

Dunno, but I have a wheelset for sale with unused rim brake surface
Black Hope XC disc hubs on black Mavic X517 rim brake rims.
Just decal wrinkling and/or missing and usual nicks the freehub splines otherwise perfect

for 26? that's about your lot i'm afraid. They actually ended production on the 317/717 too, leaving just the basic 117, which probably wont last long

I bought a few 317 rim from Taylor Wheels in Germany, they were below £15 each. Just in case.....

Re:

Keep an eye on the Bay of Thieves. I just bought a pair of Exal ones for about £15. They look good. Mavic are overpriced and not very good these days.

I have been building wheels with Mavic XC717's for years, with no problems, and disappointed to see they are not being made any more.
I built one wheel using XM317 and the rim failed after 2 years of light use, (no sign of wear, it just went bang) so don't want to use them again.

Any recommendations for a good 26 inch, 32 hole V brake rim welcome.

Thanks!

Try Spa Cycles - Rigida and Exal rims in 26" are readily available. Spa cater to touring mainly, they seem to check stuff carefully before stocking it.
I've always wondered if the Velomann ones from Germany (in lots of colours) are any good or not.

Re:

Madness that 26" has dropped off so quickly for Mavic. It was only when I started looking that I saw XC717 was discontinued. :( I'll take a look at the other brands.

It is to rebuild a wheel around a Hope ti hub, but when you factor in the rim, spokes and labour it probably is cheaper buying a pair of wheels. Then there is the likelihood the flanges will crack.... :LOL:

SP

Back