What does "Suspension corrected" mean?

michael franks

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've seen this term used occasionally but I don't know exactly what it means. Does it refer to a frame... or forks... or perhaps the relationship between them...? I'd appreciate someone letting me know. :D Thanks.

means the frame is designed around longer forks. Initially about 410mm instead of 395mm.

Re:

After that they started recommending fork length (main/max for frames.

Rigid forks became longer to compensate too.

It all started around 92/93, then about 96 the next step came in for 60mm forks becoming the norm then late 90s/00 80 and 100mm fork.
Stems shortened to compensate, bars also got wider to compensate for the higher front ends too.

When the term relates to a fork, it refers to a rigid fork that has a longer than standard axle to crown measurement, as cce stated a standard length for is 395mm axle to crown. 410 mm is roughly comparable to a suspension fork with a whopping 40mm travel. A suspension corrected frame has geometry that has been adjusted to be compatible with a suspension fork. When suspension forks first came out, people installed them on frame that were designed for rigid forks, and it raised the front end a little bit, slacking the angles slightly, thus affecting the handling. When bike manufacturers realized shocks weren't just a fad, they changed the geometry of their frames to be more compatible with the front suspension.

A good example of a brand with two lengths of rigid forks is Kona. I think it was around 1995, when they offered some of their bikes (Kilauea, Lava Dome, etc.) with either a front shock, or a rigid suspension corrected P2.

Re:

Kona shrunk the head tube by 20mm and extended the blades of the P2 fork by 24mm, making enough space to fit a suspension fork with modest travel. These tweaks didn't quite go far enough: geometry was only correct with the P2 fitted if you used a bigger 2.3" front tyre.

Re:

Wow! Many thanks to everybody who posted in what is a comprehensive explanation and answer to my question "What does Suspension Corrected" mean? Only on Retrobike. :cool:

Latest posts

Back