What shall I get?

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
So, first things first, this isn't something I can do right this very moment as I'm selling most of my bikes to pay the bills meaning I can't afford it right now but I want something to look forward to in the new year. For the last year or so I've basically bought and built bikes 'because they're cheap'. Then often found they're a bitter disappointment. Now this is where you knowledgeable lot come in.

I want to change the way I look at bikes. I want to build something because I really want it. I want something that I can really put a lot of effort into instead of just building something out of whatever parts I can find. Basically I want something that there's no rush to build and each and every part is chosen by me because that's what I want, not because it's the cheapest I could find. I want something that I don't care about how much I've spent because it's exactly how I want it. (and it won't be sold so spending more than it's worth isn't a problem)

The problem is I don't know what frame to use as a base. I'm not going to be able to spend a fortune on the frame. It's not going to be to ride in anger at top trail centres as I'm not going to be able to do that sort of riding for a long time, more for woodland trails sort of thing. The only criteria I have at the moment is it has to be retro (preferably pre 97) and be able to have front suspension. Oh and not specialized (don't ask :facepalm: )

So does anyone have any suggestions for a good starting point? I'm going to be doing my research on everything not just buying it because it looks good (although that's a bonus). This is going to be something special.

Re:

Difficult to say without you giving us some more information as to what you like,

Steel, Aluminium or Titanium (or carbon?!)

Me, I like Steel, and I have a liking for a wishbone back-end, so I'd be going for an Orange (P7?) or maybe a Saracen Kili (gorgeous frame in my opinion viewtopic.php?f=6&t=374756).

Re:

Steel would get my vote too, I know it has it's problems with corrosion but these can be easily sorted usually. More exotic materials Aluminium, Ti, and Carbon all have their faults too and are generally much more expensive to sort out...

As for the rest, whatever floats your boat just by browsing the for sale section regularly or putting out a wanted ad you can pick up frames at a steal. Got a 99' Columbus tubed Marin Eldridge Grade sat in the shed I picked up for £35 including a Hope headset. V brake only so looks the part despite being newer than 97'.

For components choose LX or above for Shimano and all is good...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Haven't really thought about material to be honest. Generally I wouldn't be too worried providing it's not too heavy but yeah steel does sound nice.

I'll tell you what I would love. Not going to happen in my budget but I've always wanted an E stay. Anyone have one that can tell what they're like to ride? (obviously not alpinestars because that's way out of my budget)

Re:

Yeah I just made the mistake of searching for the Saracen Kili and saw the pro racer E stay. I think I know what I want haha (not likely but at least now I have a dream bike :LOL: )

Re:

Just to be different. what kind of health, fitness, general state are you in?

I ask because selecting a bike based on brand, rarity, material, other reasons won't mean much if it's uncomfortable to ride due to sore lower back, bulging discs, work-related/congenital ailments.

Been there myself you see!

Now, i actively dodge racey looking bikes as i can't cope with them over 15+ mile rides.

For me, find a frame/fork with geomentry that gives a good responsive ride then, fit brakes and gears around that.

How you determine that, will take some trial and error, maybe have a go on other people's bikes...

Re:

Yeah at the moment I can't even ride as waiting on knee surgery alongside permanent nerve damage in my lower back and leg. (and it's mentally killing me) So nothing racy. As a general idea I bought a univega alpina pro a while ago and had to let it go again as it felt too stretched out and low. I try to ride bikes with a lot more relaxed geometry. That's why I want to build something rather than just buy.

Fitness isn't a problem as I was doing regular 35-40 mile rides and 12 hour races. But this is purely for leisure not racing.

Oh and as a guide to how special it will be. I've done the unthinkable and placed my Marin up for sale :shock: (yes that is the bike I swore to take to my grave)

For something short in the top tube (and therefore upright), Orange P7 certainly fits the bill. I love mine, rides like a scalded cat as the wheelbase is so short.

Back