help with parts, st-mc10 stx?

iow tom

Retro Guru
hi, i have some stmc-10 gear changer/brake lever units.
i was wondering if they are stx? they start with st on the part number and my other stx (stmc-32) are stx.
i was also wondering if they are canti brakes compatible? i assume they are as my later stx ones are...

i was given them in amongst loads of parts. they were not working and as people have always said to me 'replace, buy new', 'almost impossible to take apart and rebuild etc', i was going to replace them but couldnt find any. i have learnt from opening others not to do so...needs must i decided to have a look, even though i thought ill just make it worse.
low and behold, as soon as i opened it, bits flew out all over the place. springs, washers, clips, cogs, even the kitchen sink!
i normally give up after an hour of trying but i stuck with it and trial and error rebuilt it.
it works beautifully now.
all the gunk gone, lubed up, they click nicely.
i am chuffed to say the least.
now, the left hand one to go...

thanks

Attachments

• DSCF3265.JPG
    DSCF3265.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 615
Easiest way to fix them is to give a good blast through with WD40. Usually all that goes wrong is that the grease hardens with age and gums them up.

But well done for reassembling them!

Re:

Well done for fixing them. Notice your becoming a regular on here! I did tell you it's addictive
S.t just points out that it's an Sti unit just like rd means it's a rear mech. It's just shimanos letter indexing for parts. You can also date parts by the two small inscribed letters on every part. Type shimano date codes, into Google and it will give you a list of what the two letter dates are so you can be sure how old a part is :)

i think you may be right about them being alivios marc two tone.
shame, i finally managed to rebuild and theyre not xt lol.

retro junkie, yes its addictive. its like facebook but without the bike snobbery and trolls lol.

i am after some st mc-32 changers if anyone has or knows of any?
also a stx front derailleur, standard small size. i have a large one which is too big for any of my frames if anyone wants it?
cheers guys :)

Back