Crackle paint on kona or original?

Cardifflloyd

Dirt Disciple
Hi all.I've got a 96 kona firemountain project on the go and was after abit of help, while I'm sloooowly finding the parts I want bit by bit ( if anyone has a nos or mint stx-rc mc36 crank going spare I'm your man!) I've been thinking about paint, I wanted to keep it original colour, mostly because I havnt seen many, apparently it's a mid season limited edition colour blue, but I've gotta be honest the more I look at the old style paint jobs Like early konas GTs etc I'm thinking about creating something similar, thought about black crackle finish over existing blue but not sure, any advise I'd be grateful

While some of the purists will cringe at the idea of anything not catalogue correct, it's worth remembering that these are mass-produced items. Paint it any colour you like, get it muddy and have fun riding it! Leave the purists to pleasure themselves by licking their catalogue-perfect bikes clean.

The MC36 is the version with weird 95mm pcd rings (not 94) which are irreplaceable, I'd suggest you try a Deore LX instead.

Haha what a thought! you are right though thanks,thought the purists would let me off seen as it's not a top end bike ha, I'll have to stew over it for abit longer till I decide. Didn't know about the crank either thanks for the heads up appreciate it

Re:

If you wanted to use the stx cranks, there is an adaptor made by pace to allow the use of normal rings. One is for sale currently if you are interested (not mine) - see the racerx sale thread.

As for paint, go for it. It's just a bike frame and you can make it a one of a kind.

Cardifflloyd":33siof3q said:
thought the purists would let me off
No, they won't. But, on the other hand - if you've never, then you ought.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Fpfamn6n4[/youtube]

Re:

All depends. if you plan to sell it, keep it as close to original as possible to suit a bigger audience. If you plan to keep it, sod what anyone else thinks and let your imagination run wild. :cool:

Back