Low stack height 1 1/8" threaded headsets

rogerzilla

Retro Guru
What's still made that's 33mm or less? Can't rely on retailer websites - rhe M Part one is listed as 27mm but is really 38mm in this spec and the mediocre Ritchey Logic is also 38mm (usually quoted as 33mm) in 1 1/8" - I've just measured one. My Kona Impact is in good nick but won't last for ever.

Well, easily available headsets...you might look at Shimano Deore XT or Alivio @ 33.5mm...
Otherwise, you're down to Race Face at 29.1mm stack for a really short stack.

You should look at ones with a nominal stack height up to 2mm longer than the length available, so up to 35.5mm stack will work.
There are quite a lot with a stack of around 35-36mm, and given that you should have 4-5mm of thread on the lock nut, you might get away with those.

Have a look through the Sutherland's headset section with all the dimensions here.

All the best,

Re:

Another option I found is to use the top part of a Kona Impact, which is where stack height is really saved, and use the bottom half of, well, almost any headset. Most wear and water damage is to the bottom race, so the top half of an Impact can go on almost indefinitely. The rubber seals can perish, though.

Re:

Tange Falcon is 34.4mm, 32.4mm if you leave out the tab washer (which never works anyway). Good quality cartridge headset.

Back