Specialized Rockhopper FS 1997 Question

Hey:)

Before I ask for your help, please can I just thank you for this forum, although I've never posted until now, I've benefited from a lot of helpful information over the years, and enjoyed looking at the photos of your really sweet bikes, so thank you.

I bought a '97 Rockhopper FS a number of years ago for a bargain price, unfortunately it's way too big for me (it's a 20" frame, and I'm only 5' 7") and I've never really enjoyed riding it as a result (plus to be honest, I really prefer rigid steel bikes anyway), but I was desperate for a Specialized and so it's been in the shed for a number of years.

I don't want to sell it, rather I'm either hoping to mothball it for my son to have in the future (hopefully he'll be taller than me!) or find a replacement frame and swap the bits over if possible.

My question is; I've found a 17" 92-93 Rockhopper frame on eBay, plus a Stumpjumper Pro frame & forks (same year and size) now I know both of these frames are 5 years older and a different size, but would all the parts swap over? (I'm mainly concerned about the forks and BB) I've had a look on the internet for sizes etc but I can't find anything.

Please can any of your share your knowledge on this?

Many thanks for your time

Mat

Re:

If the frames you have your eye on are smaller, then the forks should fit, though they may need the steerer to be either cut down, or spacers added above the headset and below the stem (which would give you a higher riding position up front of course if you used spacers).

I can't say for certain regarding bottom bracket. If you measure the bottom bracket shell on your frame from left to right, it will either be 68mm or 73mm. You can then ask the seller to do the same. If the numbers match, happy days. If not, you'll just need to buy the correct bottom bracket to suit the frame, bit you will need one with the same axle length as that should still be corrected t for your existing chainsets.

Other parts that probably won't match up are the cables as the frame stops are likely to be in different places, especially as your current frame is a rear suspension one (you may be able to get away with reusing them, but cables are cheap and new ones will improve shifting when compared to old ones).

Seat post may also not be the same diameter between frames, though again you might get lucky.

Everything else should swap over without any hassle, unless the seat tubes are different diameters. If so you'll need to replace the front mech with one in the diameter and cable pull (top or bottom pull, which may even be different between frames anyway).

I hope this helps.

Re:

Hey:)

That's great, thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate your help.

I noticed that the Stumpjumper Pro frame on eBay actually has the bottom bracket, forks, seatpost and neck, so that would be one less part to buy...to be honest that might be a better option to start a build from scratch....

Latest posts

Back