Clipless with dodgy knees?

dirtjumper_dmr

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi... I'm going to buy myself a new DMR Transition to take up jump/street duties so my Trailstar is now going to be my modern (sorry) XC bike. I've fitted a slightly longer stem, bars with less rise and a front brake and I'm thinking of getting some clipless pedals.
I experienced alot of knee pain when I had SPDs on my old Lava Dome and somebody suggested this was due to lack of float.
Has anyone had similar probs with SPuDs? and are there any suggestions as to what I could try? I want something with a proper 'body' rather than a small SPD type.

Rich

I've got dodgy knees, but most of the shimano ones offer enough float for me never to have problems. The old Onza ones with the elastomers were supposed to have tons of float - but I've never tried them.

Time pedals. Loads of float, too much for a lot of people but great for riders with dodgy knees.

orange71":2v8qfogn said:
I've got dodgy knees, but most of the shimano ones offer enough float for me never to have problems. The old Onza ones with the elastomers were supposed to have tons of float - but I've never tried them.

I was in agony last time I used SPDs, the day after I couldn't walk and it took a couple of days to get back to normal!!! I had Onzas on my Bear Valley SE BITD and they were ok but I've heard the axles have a reputation for snapping and with the riding I do now I don't want to risk it... plus I'm not as svelt as I used to be :roll:

What about the Crank Bros stuff, anyone have any experience... maybe I should stick with my V8s...

orange71":1wrz33yt said:
I had these onza spuds ,sold them a couple of months ago ,they did have tons of float ,,too much for me ,so i changed to atac then to lx,lx is fine for me
Eggbeaters have a similar float to the onzas i found,thats why im selling a pair,Ill stick to what i know

Cant hear it ---cant smell it ---dont trust it
:?

My knees aren't great but I use Shimano spds, you have to get the cleats set correctly though.

If your knees are real bad but you really want to use clipless then try Speedplay pedals, they have virtually unlimited float.........I tried some briefly, it was a bit like riding on ice but I guess you'd get used to it, I might give them another go sometime.

speedplay. . . for the eternally dodgy-kneed-ness. Even lets you shim like a ski boot for different langth legs and soleplate angles

I agree with russell ... I always use Time Atac pedals and always have had dodgy knees .... not a problem with them??

Russell":3lkvnhd4 said:
Time pedals. Loads of float, too much for a lot of people but great for riders with dodgy knees.
Yup, heard loads of good things about Time SPD's being good for those with dodgy knees.

Back