XTR M900 Hub Service

Sabz__

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could assist me in my issue with my XTR-M900 hub/freehub? I'm very young so have no experience with this. The rear wheel moves side to side by an excessive angle, and a noise occurs at the specific point where the wheel is at the largest angle from it's original point so I have associated the noise with the hub. I then took the wheel off and rotated the cassette to find that it is moving. Would I need to service the hub, the freehub or both? Would there be any parts I would need that are unique to the m900? I'm assuming I would need to go to a bike shop to do it due to what's required, but my main question is would any extra parts which most bike shops wouldn't have, be required?
Sorry for it being so long but thanks in advance

The first thing is to stop riding it and get some cone spanners, and screw the nuts closer to remove the play at the rim / tyre. As for the cassette, it should normally have no side to side play, maybe you need to secure the lockring onto the freehub more. Is the shifting working or not? What speed is it? If there is any side to side play then the shifting will get messed up with 9spd and above, and sometimes it will mess up 8 spd as well. To adjust the freehub you need an 8mm hex key after taking the axle and bearings out. I suggest taking it all apart completely. You will need to inspect the races if it has been ridden like this. Oh, and the LBS is highly unlikely to have NOS M900 cones and freehubs btw.

k7hub.gif

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... -section-2

Odds are, you will need a new hub. Or rather a new wheel.
Becaus when the whole wheel had considerable side play then it is very likeley that the races are toast.
The lbs wont be able to repair this, too. Because that would be too costly and new spare parts are not available any more.

You can of cause try to fix it to a functional state by using new balls and some grease. I am sure there will be some guides on youtube about serviceing shimano hubs. No need to find a vid on m900. Those cup-and-cone shimano hubs all have the same principle.

Back