Do I Need a New Chainring Set?

MahatmaAndhi

Retro Newbie
Hi guys,

This is my first post. I've very new to cycling and bought myself a Marin Pine Mountain. I think it's a 1995 model with Rockshox Judy front suspension. I'm not sure how much is stock.
I do about 15 miles at the moment on roads, mainly. The more I ride this bike, I more I love it. The more I love it, the more I am finding things wrong with it.

It's going in for a service anyway. But while I was looking at it today, the chainring set looks very uneven. Some teeth are smaller than others. From what I've read, worn rings tend to take a shark fin shape. This doesn't. But it does look out of place.

Do I need to replace the chainrings? If so, I don't know what I am looking at price wise.
According to this website it's a White Industries 20/32/42 set.

I'm very new to all this so please go easy on me. I don't understand biking jargon and what-not yet.

VkXg127h.jpg

Re:

While your rings are starting to show some visible wear, the uneven sizes of the teeth themselves is a factory feature/design, fabricated into the rings to assist in the smoother/easier take-up of the chain during shifting.

I will defer the advice (of whether or not you need new rings) to more knowledgeable members, but allow me to proffer that your local bike shop will be able to properly measure the wear factor of the chain, and advise you as to whether or not that needs replacing (in addition to the rings).

Of course, finding new rings for older machines can sometimes be a challenge, but that is why you've become a member hereon anyway (excellent resource for retro parts needed).

cheers ... ;)

ps: welcome a-bored!

Excellent. Thanks for the quick advice.
Once I get a few more pennies, I was thinking of upgrading to a 9-speed set and getting rid of the grip shifts in favour of triggers.
I've got the bike set up how I like it (in terms of ergonomics), but I need a new back tyre and the wheels need truing first.

uMcVJYLl.jpg

Cool bike,looks original and well kept.I`d keep the Gripshift,it looks like a set of Xrays which are quite good.Get rid of the stem though,in fact,burn it please....

Re:

66 triumph daytona":3l9xuse0 said:
Cool bike,looks original and well kept.I`d keep the Gripshift,it looks like a set of Xrays which are quite good.Get rid of the stem though,in fact,burn it please....

I know it's not very pretty, but I put that on. It came with a Funn STF, but I was getting neck and back pains (I'm still a fairly big guy, despite having lost 4st this year). Since changing to that, the back pain kicks in much later and the neck pain has gone entirely.

Re:

Stick with that 8 speed set up.That era XT you have is arguably one of the finest Shimano ever produced,I had that set up with Xrays back in the day and its sweet.Besides,you would have to change shifters,rear mech,cassette and chain just for 1 more sprocket.....

Thanks for the advice. See? The more I learn about this bike, the more I love it.
It's got some surface rust and a few scrapes, but I think for £70 I've done alright.

Agreed that you have about the best gears Shimano ever made - light, tough and reliable. Afterwards they have gone for Gillette numbers marketing plus styling by Darth Vader thing.

You might find fitting some riser bars improves things fit-wise. But use what's comfortable and forget about the looks - too many people on here polish their garage queens and don't ride them. :shock:

Back