Spoke lengths..... NOS Deore DX 36 Hole on Mavic 717's

abr303

Retro Guru
Anyone have a similar wheel build set up and know what spoke lengths used? Used a couple of spoke length calculators and the hubs aren't listed which is fair enough as they early 90's nos. They'll be 3x laced also. Over to you guys if you can help. Cheers. :D

abr303":jyscnhuc said:
Anyone have a similar wheel build set up and know what spoke lengths used? Used a couple of spoke length calculators and the hubs aren't listed which is fair enough as they early 90's nos. They'll be 3x laced also. Over to you guys if you can help. Cheers. :D

Try the EDD online calculator. That has DX hubs listed & 717 rims. (just don't put deore in the search term) ;)

https://leonard.io/edd/

interestingly, pretty much all non-disc shimano hubs are close enough to make no meaningful difference on spoke length

Re:

I used the same spoke calculator when building up some NOS deore (DX) hubs onto some M281CD rims. Using the calculator, for your rims XC 717 you'll need -

Front = 36 x 262mm

Rear = 18 x 260mm + 18 x 261mm

If you're going to build up using DT swiss spokes (in Silver) I could get most sizes online/ ebay at a reasonable price. I struggled to find enough 262mm that were not a £1.40 each though! ( tweeks, JE James, etc didn't have enough in stock at the time)... eventually getting some from a guy in Poland on ebay for a reasonable price.

If you're building up using black spokes or using a brand like Halo etc, you shouldn't have the same problem. I was wondering if the low supply was due this size being no longer produced as most wheel builds now would need shorter spokes ( disc hubs with larger flanges ) or longer spokes (29er / 650B )

Needless to say....I'm stocking up on 262mm DT swiss when I see them at a good price!

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Re:

Great guys cheers, thanks for the replies :D

Should be able to sort a box of 260, 261 & 262mm silver DT Swiss comps through trade channels hopefully. :D

Back