Tyre for Mayhem - thoughts

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Putting together a shortlist for new tyres for my Kona Explosif ready for Mayhem.

I currently have 1.9 Vredestein Grinder on the back and a 2.1 Kenda Nevegal on the front, they seem to work although they are the only tyres I have ridden the bike with.

My thoughts are should I keep the sizes the same as they are now or have narrower (1.9's) on front and back.

Also I have searched online but need a little further help with recommendations for an all-round tyre for Mayhem. I want a tyre that is a jack of all trades, I suppose more suited to dry/medium conditions as apposed to proper mud.

Re:

I was wondering the same about tires. Type and size.

I have Charge Splashbacks on one bike, 1.8 on rear and 2.1 on front. Should I leave as, or go either 1.8 or 2.1 on both wheels?
Back in the day it was argued narrower on the drive wheel.

I am going to take some spares for mud (2.1 Comp S)! I guess if it is really dry I have some faster hardpack (Michelin Sprint S)tires but they are 1.6 IIRC.

Re:

Its not just me then, I thought having a wider front gave it more comfort a narrower rear gave better direction change.

Re:

If dry it'll be bumpy so large volume, low rolling resistance. If muddy, it can get claggy so narrow-ish with widely spaced angular nobbles would be sensible.

Onza Porcupines and Tioga Psycos are always terrible ;)

Kona mud clearance is pretty awful so it'll park mine if it gets muddy - save rubbing paint off the stays :oops:

I would err on the side of Knobble. You can ride a grippy tyre in the dry but a semi in the wet on the grassy side hills? You know, the bits I walk. Even the morning dew makes them challenging.

Back