Identifying a Kona - Kona Niihau anyone?

henristig

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hi lads!

There's an interesting looking Kona up for sale locally. It appears to be a 92-93 Kona decalled Niihau. Having done some research I've found the Niihau was a Finnish special; higher end leftover frames were painted randomly and kitted out with mediocre kit and sold as Niihau, and according to the importer at the time there were even some explosif frames with stx-rc parts sold as Niihau... soooo, as I'm no Kona expert I'm hoping you guys could help me figure out what lies under this vague decal :D

The seller only sent me a couple of crappy pics, but I reckon it looks a lot like a Cinder Cone. What do you think?

9094011858.jpg

9002535177.jpg

9011058496.jpg

IPFwNs3.jpg

Agg7EWi.jpg

I'd say 91 frame with 94 decals

The decals and the colour of the fork and stem suggest 94-96, as does the hole in the stem clamp. The frame does look like a 91-93 though, I have '95 and '96 Cindies and the rear dropouts aren't like that - my 1992 Fire Mountain had the hole in the dropout though. To be sure what it is you'd probably have to weigh it.

Hello

For me, just look likes a 94'hahanna. Same color, grey color for forks and stem and blue frame.
Even screw luggage rack are the same and they are different on high end frame of that year...

Cheers

I struggle to see it properly but the seatpost clamp looks integral to the frame to me?

Back