Help with sizing the bearings in my headset

development_cycle

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have a 1" Richey headset that I want to replace the bearings for. I would have simply cleaned up and re-lubed the original ones if they were in good condition, but when I took it apart the lower bearing cage fell out in bits and the bearings went everywhere.

On closer inspection it seems that the upper and lower bearing cups, bearings, and the cages they are in, are not the same size. As it's the lower (larger) one in particular that needs replacing, although I might just do both, I need help identifying this so I can get a replacement of the correct size.

So far my googling and going in to bike shops has turned up very little, the only 1 inch loose bearing cages I have found come in pairs, and are both of the smaller bearing size that fits in the top. I did try looking to see if I could just use the smaller ones in both but because the actual headset cup is designed for the bigger bearings that is not an option.

For reference this looks to be the same headset but no mention of the actual bearing spec's. And before you ask, I have not emailed Ritchey yet, I am going to but thought I would ask here too.

https://ritcheylogic.com/logic-1-inch-silver-headset

Thanks

thought photo might help. The complete cage looks to be pretty standard for 1 inch headsets but the other has larger ball bearings in it. Obviously if I'm totally unable to replace this I will just get matching sized loose bearings, but would prefer to replace like for like if possible.

Attachments

• IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 287
Re:

Chain Reaction Cycles have this on their product description:

Bearing Type: 1/8" -3/16" Loose Ball Upper and Lower - 1” – 5/32” Loose Ball Upper and 3/16” Lower

Back