'91 GT identification .... Zaskar? No. 03910085 early Batch?

abr303

Retro Guru
Hi,
In a previous posted topic, some of you maybe aware I've recently acquired this tired old Gt in need of a lot of love and tlc..... it was going to be binned!! The serial stamp would indicate March '91 and possibly an early batch (0085) but putting it out to all you GT gurus out there... Zaskar/LE of Pantera etc. Al? Excuse my ignorance on the matter, I appreciate there decals are long gone but there is one 6061 label at the base of the seat tube above the b/b.

Not sure where I'm going with this restoration yet, full period resto or a bit more modern but still with retro parts etc. Think many of us often upgraded our steeds over the years for the latest or current bit of bike bling at the time so does keep a lot more options open.

Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome :)

Re:

Looks like a nice save there. Seat post looks interesting too, early syncros?

As for identification, flat cap and serial point towards a zaskar, but i thought the 6061 was stamped on the drop out. No expert on zaskar or pantera though, but there are many on here who I'm sure will be able to help.

Re: Re:

ishaw":dxma93we said:
Looks like a nice save there. Seat post looks interesting too, early syncros?

As for identification, flat cap and serial point towards a zaskar, but i thought the 6061 was stamped on the drop out. No expert on zaskar or pantera though, but there are many on here who I'm sure will be able to help.

Cheers ishaw.
The seatpost had a rather crumpled up and peeling 'TNT' (red/yelow) decal so not syncros I'm afraid. Havn't checked the other stamping on the dropouts but one thing for sure, Ican't wait to strip it and get polishing :p

Re:

Tnt isn't bad either i don't think, they made some very nice bits including ti hubs bitd iirc. Enjoy the polishing.

Check the rear Mech hanger, could be wrong but it looks like a frame saver type one rather than original.

Re: Re:

ishaw":3n164djq said:
Tnt isn't bad either i don't think, they made some very nice bits including ti hubs bitd iirc. Enjoy the polishing.

Check the rear Mech hanger, could be wrong but it looks like a frame saver type one rather than original.

Yes aware of the rear mech hanger as the original was a one piece affair and part of the frame, does take from the originality but look at it as part of the bikes history.

Does anyone have any ideas on the model, done some more research and evidence points to it being a Zaskar unless anyone else can prove otherwise.......

My Zaskar has the 6061 stamp on the dropouts. Try removing the rear wheel and look around on both the insides and outsides of both dropouts. They changed the shape of the dropouts and location of the stamp a few times.

looks like a zaskar, pantera would have different serial number/location (start with a letter). March would make it a 91 model year, would have to be much later build to make it a 92 (you an find the 1991 catalog in the archives here).
get the polish out

It looks like the cable guide for the U-brake is gone and tape is there to protect the frame. Is that right? Those cable guides can be hard to find. It's too bad. These early frames look best with the old U-brake. Maybe one will turn up.

Lhatch4":iin9jt4h said:
It looks like the cable guide for the U-brake is gone and tape is there to protect the frame. Is that right? Those cable guides can be hard to find. It's too bad. These early frames look best with the old U-brake. Maybe one will turn up.

Yes, you'll need one of these (without one it'll do all sorts of damage to the frame):
Untitled by FactoryJackson, on Flickr
Untitled by FactoryJackson, on Flickr

I would say 99.99% a Zaskar. The earliest ones didnt have 6061 stamped on the dropouts as from what I remember the Pantera's weren't released till 92/93, so there was no need to differentiate between the two. Looks pretty much identical to mine.

Re:

Thanks for the replies guys..... yes I was concerned about the missing U-brake cable guide and havn't yet stripped the bike down so I'm hoping not to find too much damage under that ghastly tape haha :LOL: I guess they'll be like hens teeth to get hold of now so theres the first hurdle of many I reckon...... :roll:

Latest posts

Back