Hanging bikes from ceiling

Paul Eggleton

Retro Guru
Has anyone successfully hung a bike (or similar c.26lbs weight) from a plasterboard ceiling without the help of drilling into the joists? I.e. purely using the strength of the board.

If so what fixing did you use?

I know I need to spread the load behind the board and there will be two anchor points to spread the load further but the best I can see at this stage is something like this......

jpg

Cheers

Re:

Plaster board can be a bit like a manitou frame, look at it wrong and it will crack. I'd personally steer you towards using the load bearing structures you mentioned 'joists' as they are what they are.

Re: Re:

ishaw":vsuvkgaw said:
Plaster board can be a bit like a manitou frame, look at it wrong and it will crack. I'd personally steer you towards using the load bearing structures you mentioned 'joists' as they are what they are.

What he said.

Re:

You should use the joist. I was able to lay a couple of 1x6 boards perpendicular to the ceiling joist and screw them in securely. Spaced them out so I could attach those big rubber coated hooks to the bike tires. The hooks hold great in the 1x6's

Re:

I've mounted a heavy 6 kg lamp unit with 4 of those "hooks" as on the pic in the OP.
It held but I wouldn't do it again. The chance of coming down is always there. So as said, use the joist.

Unless it's going on the Joists then a better solution would be to mount it on the wall as high as possible.

Re:

Using the joists is best but .... You could possibly put a plank of mdf or planed pine on the ceiling using no more nails and screws. That would distribute the weight across a greater area of the plaster board and give a firmer fixing. Then drill holes through the board and ceiling and use those anchors.

Re:

Ceilings usually use thinner plasterboard than walls at 9.5mm rather than 12mm, joist spacing could be wider than standard increasing the chance of the board bowing down. I wouldn't stand underneath it for long! Cheapest joist finder on ebay is £8.90, lets you find the exact location of your joists without any damage.

Back