Adapter for 1" forks to fit into 1 1/8" head tube?

ThomasElliott

Old School Hero
I'm in the process of building up a '97 Kona Kula (with a 1 1/8" head tube), and will use rigid old P2 forks rather than the originally stocked Rockshox Judys. I even have a pair of P2s lying around at home, but when I installed them I realized that they move around a bit inside the head tube when braking, which leads me to believe the forks are actually 1". Now, is there some kind of adapter I can get to make the forks fit correctly into the head tube, or am I better off hunting for another pair of P2 forks in the right size?

You can buy a 1 1/8 - 1"reducers to use your P2's remember to price in a 1" headset too. Might be worth a search for the right size try a swap or wanted on here

How on earth did you manage to get it all together? nothing would have fitted!

Are you sure it not just the crown race floating around?

Re:

As lgf says, if the headset is 1 1/8 then there should have been no way that a 1 inch steerer tube would have fitted at all, the headset crown race would not fit, the threaded nuts at the top would not fit either. This may sound silly, but are the bearing races the right way up in the cups? If not, they won't seat properly and will cause the rocking.

It might very well just be a case of me having f***ed up the headset installation, will have a look when I get back home tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice!

How well are the headset cups fitting?
Loose cups or distorted headtube could give a similar feeling, as I guess so could fractionally short steerer threads.

Also check the fork steerer is straight.

1" JIS headsets also give a similar feeling - the old chucking a sausage up Regents Street effect.

Well, I threw out the old Race Light headset and got it replaced by someone who knew what he was doing, and both forks and steerer are now silky smooth. Hope someone learns from my mistake, thanks again!

Re:

I bought a shim of ebay for £6 quid for my red shred as it has 1 inch ahead indy forks

dam phone auto correct lol

Back