DX spoke repair advice please

cjr61

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Morning all,
Picked up a lovely '93 Pine Mountain yesterday with full DX/XT. Minor issue is that the rear wheel is missing two spokes.

Other than changing tyres and the occasional half turn on a spoke key I have no idea when it comes to spokes and nipples!

Can anyone please point me in the right direction for replacement spoke length/type and also nipple (are all nipples created equal??).

image hosting over 10mb

Many thanks

Chris

The nippels are all the same.
To determine the right spoke length it might be the easiest way to take another one out an measure it.
Usually all the spokes have the same length but in some cases the spokes on the drive side are a tad shorter.

Spoke type doesn't really matter. But there are butted spokes for lower weight. They're all the same at both ends, just thinner in the middle section.

Maybe you just take one spoke to the bike shop and tell them you need another two + nipples?

Here's a link if you want to know everything in detail:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Re:

32 hole /spoke?

266mm spokes will be fine (non drive should be 267 or 268, but 266 should work).
And nipples, whatever looks the same.
Someone may have two spare.

Check the other spokes to see if they are ok, may as well change as you're doing it.

Experience tells me that not all nipples are created equal. Oh wait you're talking about bikes. Never mind.

Back