Risse shock help

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I bought a risse shock recently not knowing its condition, but the price reflected that. Rebound damping still works, but the shaft is heavily scored. Not sure if it holds air as I can't pump it up - valve thread seems too short for a standard shock pump to go on far enough to depress the valve and allow air in). What options do I have in terms of replacement? I was toying with the idea of having something made to allow it to fit my RTS team too. I've contacted risse directly but have had no response. Anyone know much about these shocks and what's on the inside? Are they nitrogen charged etc?

Attachments

• 20170314_235122.jpg
    20170314_235122.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 444
I have the Risse Genesis & Astro 5, they are just air & oil. I think its unlikely that you'll get reply from Risse. Service instructions & data are no longer on their website, but they can be found if you put their web address into thewaybackmachine.

Re:

I've tried to order some small parts via mail but I haven't had a reply either. And reading other topics and forums that seems quite normal at Risse. Some company's just respond better to phonecalls. So I'd try that.

Re:

If you don't have any luck with Risse themselves then maybe try j6shocks.com, or mickgardenerracing.com, I think both of those can/could service the Noleen shocks found on Proflex bikes, and perhaps the Risse units as well as they were quite a popular upgrade on Proflex.

Cheers for the replies. I had responses from risse when I wanted to buy a shock, but when I wanted help/info about a shock I already owned, silence is deafening. Shame! I had to go to meet lawill directly to get a new shaft and shock service on my old leader forks. Service from meet was great, maybe another avenue for investigation I guess.

Re:

If it's holding air and damping ok, you're cool!
Risse can and will supply all parts for their shicks but can be slow to respond:
https://www.risseracing.com/

Periodic oil changes and O-ring replacements are a good idea. The shaft seal is like a big square section rubber band IIRC, and you may need a special tool to unscrew the body too IIRC.

It seems to hold air, and damping seems fine. Problem is, the shock shaft is heavily scored and gets a bit stuck so needs some work. I bought it wondering if it was feasible to have a new end made to allow me to use it with my RTS. The eyelet appears to be screwed in, and aside from the air valve, should be simple enough in theory. Not worth considering unless I can sort the shaft though.

Back