Magura hydraulic rim brake query

Hattyfatner

Dirt Disciple
Morning,

I've recently aquired a second generation Magura brake set - can I use them without the brake booster on a 1990 Cannondale 3.0 frame? As the booster's rusted through :(

Hattyfatner":weyzr7iz said:
Morning,

I've recently aquired a second generation Magura brake set - can I use them without the brake booster on a 1990 Cannondale 3.0 frame? As the booster's rusted through :(

Oh god No....

Magura have so much leverage that they'll push your stays out when they've reached the limit of squish on the brake pad, steel will bend your frame being Aluminium will just crack.
Its so great that they had to put a second brake booster behind the brakes themselves. ( Evo2)

Besides if you can stop the frame flexing it translates into more pressure on the rim.

I'm sure I have a spare I can part with.

To make more sense of this check out my Endorphin build and see comments posted on pg 3
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=346095&start=0

It's a good idea to use a brake booster, either a Magura one or a regular brake booster if one will fit on the brake studs.
I ran HS22's without boosters for year's and whilst the rear seemed ok the front brake studs did end up being bent outwards a bit, on an alloyl frame it could have been a real disaster.
Plus, let's not forget the benefits of greater braking power you'll get from reducing flex!
You can pick one up for a few quid (or even free!) on here.

Retro Spud":23eyt9ha said:
Hattyfatner":23eyt9ha said:
Morning,

Oh god No....

Magura have so much leverage that they'll push your stays out when they've reached the limit of squish on the brake pad, steel will bend your frame being Aluminium will just crack.
Its so great that they had to put a second brake booster behind the brakes themselves. ( Evo2)

Besides if you can stop the frame flexing it translates into more pressure on the rim.

I'm sure I have a spare I can part with.

To make more sense of this check out my Endorphin build and see comments posted on pg 3
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=346095&start=0

Got it...that might explain why one brake stud on the Pepperoni fork the brakes came with was bent at a jaunty angle.
If you've got a spare booster that'd be great

u could always rub down ur current booster and give it a freshen up with new paint to have as a spare

Back