Vintage or Modern for long distance races

caemis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi,
I've started a thread on mtb-news about this topic and I like to get some thoughts of you as well. My question is: Vintage or Modern for specific purpose: long distance rides (+100km) and/or many hours in the saddle +8h - to emphasize it: I mean riding trails/XC whatever you want call it but not in order to be competitive.

It seems that you guys have the Mayhem, does some of you start at the 24h with vintage bikes?

As for my personal decision, on the one hand I would go with a steel 29er with 100/120mm in the front OR a good race bike from back in the days like Bontrager.

In the past I have done plenty of long distance gravel/fire road rides with all kind of bikes and I would like to start this again.

Thanks!
Marco :D

Hey Marco. I've done the 24 hrs of Adrenaline back in the early 2000's on a steel hardtail and I would have killed for the full suspension Santa Cruz Heckler my team mate was riding. That and a HID light system. So I think my vote would be for modern. If it was just a fireroad ride I think I would be happy on a fully rigid vintage bike that was comfy and could handle highish volume tires.

Evolutio, servivel of the fittest by natural slection applies to bikes too. Modern bikrs are thr way they are because those features work.

So im voting modern.

Terrain will dictate if rear suspension is necessary, a 29 hardtail will cope on alk but the gnarliest ground, full suspension is comfy but energy sapping so its a compromise.

Re:

Raced mayhem retro, 6hour endurance retro and cx retro........but I'd ride both, pros and cons of both. Better brakes, suspension and geometry makes for comfier riding but retro with a nice saddle, forks that work.......and a bike that works will do just the same.
I ride the bikes individually so each bike has to be ridden as such, race or ride it's the same to me.

My pace rc200 f8 ticks both boxes imho, retro frame, disc brakes and parts that work......and it's pretty haha

Re:

I doubt if use a retro race bike for that sort of long distance riding, I'd find the uncompromising riding position quire painful after a few hours.
But pain and comfort are subjective I guess.
I have used a modern steel 29'er on 60+ mile rides before, and I actually enjoyed it.
So I'd probably go modern.

02gf74":8r2gpl7x said:
Evolutio, servivel of the fittest by natural slection applies to bikes too. Modern bikrs are thr way they are because those features work.

So im voting modern.

Terrain will dictate if rear suspension is necessary, a 29 hardtail will cope on alk but the gnarliest ground, full suspension is comfy but energy sapping so its a compromise.

Trail centres, marketing and wanting to make money for share holders dictates what a new bike looks like.

Cycling wasnt invented last week despite what the magazines will have you believe. How anyone can continuously believe the hype and bullshit year after year that this years model is so much better than last years is beyond me.

I can only offer 'ride what you find is comfortable' - this will take time.

Look at availability of parts around you - an 8spd drivetrain will run on cheap chains designed for 6/7/8/9 speeds in an emergency. You'd be stuffed running 10/11.

Tyres work better with tubes, again , in an emergency where you going to get Stan's fluid?

Carbon breaks in accidents, aluminium cracks but steel can be bent back and repaired - again, in an emergency.

Fancy boutique parts may be light but can fail spectacularly.

legrandefromage":2xa4lo03 said:
02gf74":2xa4lo03 said:

So im voting modern.

Trail centres, marketing and wanting to make money for share holders dictates what a new bike looks like.

Cycling wasnt invented last week despite what the magazines will have you believe. How anyone can continuously believe the hype and bullshit year after year that this years model is so much better than last years is beyond me.

I can only offer 'ride what you find is comfortable' - this will take time.

Look at availability of parts around you - an 8spd drivetrain will run on cheap chains designed for 6/7/8/9 speeds in an emergency. You'd be stuffed running 10/11.

Tyres work better with tubes, again , in an emergency where you going to get Stan's fluid?

Carbon breaks in accidents, aluminium cracks but steel can be bent back and repaired - again, in an emergency.

Fancy boutique parts may be light but can fail spectacularly.

Even though I totally agree with you Monsieur Fromage ;)

Attachments

• images (7).jpg
    images (7).jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 652
I knew id get shot down as this is retrobikes after all where the sun shines out of the bars of a 1989 steel rigid diamondback with cantilever brakes. :facepalm:

Back