Spin wheels, amber or black wall tyres?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm trying to rebuild my RTS team for the last time and make it as good as it can be, as it's my keeper. A few bikes will go as a result of a bit of a rejig of parts.

Currently my RTS is not period correct, and I like it that way. I'm not a big fan of m900, or weedy rs mag forks. It's currently set up with some 09 rs Sid race forks, xtr m952 everything else and wheels are magic crossmax XL ceramics. After seeing a sale thread for a similar bike wearing spins and Magura race lines, I'm thinking that's the way to go but if I am to swap the crossmax for spins, which tyre wall would suit best?

Here is a pic taken before I swapped the forks over to the sids:

file.php

Would amber or black walls be most suited to spin wheels?

The frame is the heart of the build and I'm a big fan of m952, but I'm also contemplating m970 at this point too as the final iteration so it could be all change.

Looking for some feedback on wheels, tyres and brake options mostly, but drivetrain too if anyone cares to share. I'd love to upgrade the rear shock too to air, but aside from a risse unit, which is outside my budget, I'm not sure I have other options.

So, in conclusion, after feedback on the best retromod options I can throw at the frame. I could bolt on an a2z disc adapter too, but that would be stupid, right?

Nearly forgot, but I plan to change the CSU on the sids to a carbon one, and x-loc, just because I can, and man is the CSU lighter!

Re:

Sell the spins.

They're heavy and look bloody awful.

Sorry- they've just never done it for me. I can't remember seeing anything other than an STS that looked even remotely good with them, and even then- if it was my STS they'd have to go!

I know that's not much help- I could have just said keep the crossmax :mrgreen:

I like your current build. I'd maybe be tempted to paint the SIDs in Mag 21 gold or even Judy SL yellow as a nod to period, but otherwise............ :cool:

Re:

Cheers for the comments, it's all good feedback. I do go through phases of love and hate with the spins, currently with the former it seems.

Re:

Just found a pic of the build with m970:
file.php

And my old rts-1 wearing a previous set of spin wheels. It was always a bit small but looked great imho:
file.php

Re:

I always think Spin wheels look heavy/chunky on most frames. As I said before; the only bike I've ever thought they looked good on was an STS. I guess they are a) black and b) have fatter frames.

I think your old RTS-1 gets away with the spins because its black.

The M970 build looks cool to me.
I'd stick with that if it was mine. I'd be tempted to re-paint the lower legs on the SID in either Mag 21 SL gold or Judy SL yellow & have some retro style decals done for them.

I'd been toying with a similar retro/mod idea for my '94 Zaskar. But as I'd never done a 'factory' build until the DB, I kind of want to do another. Especially as the Zaskar frame is a bit unusual.

I might have to get another. :D

Spins look good on certain bikes and even certain colours too.

I think black tyres would look better on your RTS if I'm honest. However on my Zaskar I'd go with amber walls. No logic to it really.

Back