Spoke tension meters - calibration

Remko

Senior Retro Guru
Hi,

Through time I've gathered some secondhand tools for wheelbuilding. The latest is a Hozan C-737 spoke tension meter. I'm planning to build some wheels with it in the coming months. Are there any retrobikers here that have worked with the Hozan or similar meters and can say anything about recalibration?

Thanks,
Remko

Re:

My initial thought is that this tool is more likely to be to be used to compare spoke tension rather than to give an absolute measurement

It is up to the wheel builder to determine the appropriate spoke tension, bearing in mind both the components being used and the
intended use of the wheel

I imagine that there are tables of rims/hubs/spokes and recommended spoke tensions available, however there is no substitute for
a bit of experience and common sense.

I would pay a visit to your LBS and either ask to compare your meter with theirs ( if they have one ) or better still check the spoke
tension of every bike in the shop making a note of type and size of wheel and intended use etc. This way you will have some figures
to use as an 'absolute' reference point for future wheel builds

Re:

I agree..it's the relative tension that any meter is most use for. They are not really prescision instruments for measuring absolute tension.

Re:

I've always just used the plucked tone of the spokes and the feel of the tightness of the turned nipples to judge relative tension. Are these devices a significant improvement this technique?

Re:

Thanks for replying so far. I'm just giving it a go to get some feel with it.
Will reply later on.

Attachments

• 14873655910701990429743.jpg
    14873655910701990429743.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 628
Re: Re:

bikey :)":2979rwtm said:
I've always just used the plucked tone of the spokes and the feel of the tightness of the turned nipples to judge relative tension. ?

Same here, ping the spokes and listen to the note. I also take two adjacent spokes and squeeze together to see how easily they move.

Comparing to one or more built wheels shows if spoke needs to be tightened or not.

I am not convinced that wheelbuilding is that precise an art unless you are competing at top level. Id say my wheelbuilding skills rate at 6-7/10 and ive never had problem with any of the wheels ive built (<=10)

I'd say pinging the spokes is about the same a kicking a cars tyres to see if it's in good condition.

Evenly tensioned wheels are stronger and will stay true longer. In my opinion it's the only bit of wheel building kit that is worth investing in.

02gf74":2ch4p9iq said:
bikey :)":2ch4p9iq said:
I've always just used the plucked tone of the spokes and the feel of the tightness of the turned nipples to judge relative tension. ?

Same here, ping the spokes and listen to the note. I also take two adjacent spokes and squeeze together to see how easily they move.

Comparing to one or more built wheels shows if spoke needs to be tightened or not.

I am not convinced that wheelbuilding is that precise an art unless you are competing at top level. Id say my wheelbuilding skills rate at 6-7/10 and ive never had problem with any of the wheels ive built (<=10)

Depends on the builder. Mine run very straight and true and typically last until the rim walls have worn out.

Antstark":3faf7adj said:
I'd say pinging the spokes is about the same a kicking a cars tyres to see if it's in good condition.

No less a name than Roger Musson builds all his wheels by plucking.

Back