What do folks think of this?

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I'm currently in the process of putting together a 1992 DBR Response and in order to gather some of the parts I needed I have acquired 3/4 of an 18" 1991 Apex.

Seen here before it came to me:

Axis%2004.jpg

I had planned to use this as the basis for a build using lots of Tioga parts (The Response was going to be a catalogue build).

However, the Response will now deviate a little from stock, with some additional period Tioga bits, so my plan for the Apex frame has gone out of the window.

While searching for information (and inspiration) I came across this:

diamondback-response-monster-machine-24883_2.jpg

Initially I thought- damn, with I'd seen that sooner :roll: but then I started thinking about doing something similar with the Apex frame. I have a pair of Genesis steel forks that I could probably do some clever splatter effect on to make them 'match' but do I go for it, or try to do another period type build?

I do like expedition/adventure type bikes, and something like this would make for a very cool commuter and also be useful for bike camping trips.

Just thought I'd chat it over with you guys and get some other opinions, because I can't make my mind up.

I think the drop bar bike looks cool. Anyone else can do a period/catalogue build, but making g your bike unique and purposeful is the way to go in my view.

Re:

I like the drop bar bike, but I reckon I would need to take up yoga and have a fair amount of physiotherapy before I could reach both the pedals and the handlebars at the same time. :shock:

Re:

Thanks for the input folks.

I've probably got enough bits knocking around to mock something up. I'll have a play and see how it turns out.

Then I'll post some pix up here & get some further opinions

Here's my Marin-based tourer, it's been like this over 20 years. Xerxes is dead right on the bar positions. Early 90s frames are better than later ones which got too long in the top tube. There seems to be a fashion in the USA for panniers only on the front, generally the steering is much nicer with them on the rear.
27838532024_793c44e484_c.jpg

Back