Front Derailleur Issues

Sabz__

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
My chain came off when changing gears so I was in the process of moving the bike to a suitable location in order to place the chain back onto the front chainrings when I heard a sound. The pedals then wouldn't move past a certain point as the pedal lever would hit the front derailleur. I changed the front gear to a lower chainring and was greeted to a sound which was the chain rubbing against the front derailleur. During this process, the chain wouldn't move when the front derailleur moved to change gears. I should be able to upload a video of this tomorrow night. I was wondering if I could be assisted upon what needs to be done to solve this issue - would I have to buy a new front derailleur?
It is a XTR M900 with 3 original chainrings and the chain is currently a Shimano HG40 but that should change soon.
Thanks

Re:

Sounds like it just needs setting up. Rather than try to describe it, I would point you in the direction of youtube and look for front derailleur fitment and adjustment. Good luck! :D

Re:

Tiz possible that the derailleur activation arm's little fixing screw that clamps down on your shifter cable loosened off a tad, and it slipped through to where it now won't function. If so, it still is an adjustment issue, and the you-tube tutorials available on-line will show you zactly what to do. If your chain is getting thrown past the biggest ring, then the tiny little H and L swing limit adjuster screws are not adjusted properly, and will have to be attended to.

these things are a little persniketty, but need to be adjusted accurately ...

Hi, sorry for the big bump, I've been told that the front derailleur has bent and am looking for a new one. I'm unaware of bottom pull, top pull and sizes so I was wondering if someone could explain them to me.
20170406_165700.jpg

20170406_165621.jpg

20170406_165559.jpg

Back