Very dumb question re. rear shocks

Koupe

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Being new to full-suss ownership, I'm a bit clueless :oops: :oops:

If a rear shock's being upgraded, can literally any other shock with the same (unloaded) distance between pivots be used? And are there standard sizes for pivot bushes, or are they all random?

Length of shock is one key measure, the other is stroke, ie how far the unit moves under compression. Too little stroke will give less travel, too much and things may go crunch. Also consider that a progressive spring rate will have other ride influencing effects if the stroke is out of kilter for the frame.

Mountings... In my experience they can be interchangeable, they suit the frame and the shocks are fairly standard. Might be wrong on that one, I'm not that familiar with full sus either!

Yup, there are a number of different mount types/sizes, the hardware to convert is *usually* fairly cheap anyway. Some of it will be with the frame, and you may need to buy some bushes and press them in.

Need to make sure that the replacement shock is not only the right length and stroke, but has a suitable spring AND the correct tune for the frames geometry.

Also, there are a few manufacturers who actually use almost completely custom hardware. These shocks are (pretty much) incompatible with anything else.

As for me: I had to turn new bushings that make the frame fit the new shock everytime I swapped the shock. Because the shocks have different inner diameters on the eyelets. And their width also may differ. No standards here, sadly.

Back