Things invented by men - No.1: USE Cyclops saddle clamps

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
WTF......???

Had to come in and watch a bloody tutorial on YouTube!!!! How the hell can anyone invent something so complicated and needing 4 pairs of hands, and hold it all together with a tiny threaded bolt with a 3mm allen key head....??

God forbid I should ever want to change to another saddle, that'll be another two hours of my life I'll never see again........ :facepalm:

Kaz

Re:

You can still get new clamps from USE and the come with 5mm hex bolts. I paid £10 posted last time i ordered one :D

Re:

I might consider that, if I keep the bike/post long enough.... :LOL:

Post was part of a swap deal, so I'm happy enough, even without the instructions it was a good 'buy'.

Re:

The worst seat clamp I've ever used! The clamp used to slide back on its curved rail under normal use, pitching the nose of the saddle right up. No amount of tightening the 3 mm allen bolt was ever enough to hold it. I even had to replace the clamp assembly after one of the alloy components broke. I ended up drilling a hole through the seat post part of the clamp, about 3 mm diameter, and inserting a pin through it. The pin sat directly behind the clamp, stopping it from sliding back on the rail. This worked fine up until I sold it on. I'd never use another 'cyclops' post. Way too flimsy!

I once watched a staff member in a shop try and put 50NM of torque into that bolt, the customer had mis-read the torque specs and it made a rather large bang when the bolts snapped.

Balance saddle on lap, post resting against shoulder, while you do it ail up. I put mine on by holding it altogether with one hand, and sliding the post spine into the clamp. Once its on and done up a little, its easy to reset and retighten.

Back