Shimano Flight Deck

Angyalpor

Retro Guru
Hi!

What do You think about the Shimano Flight Deck SC-6500?
I never try it before, but I'm curious... :) I've got a Zaskar with M950, should I try it?
And really, what can the Flight Deck can do?

It is a glorified bike speedo (speed, distance, time, avg speed) but the additional feature is that it knows the position of front and rears mech so since the number of teeth on the chainrings and sprockets have been entered, it can figure out the cadence. It also displays which chain ring and rear sprocket are selected at any time.

I have one on the road bike and TBH it has not changed my life.

Flightdeck can not be used with M950, it can only be used with the later M series with the gear indicators.

Don't forget you get digital shifting too (don't you?). Caveman di2. I have a kit myself, never used it though.

Digital shifting with flightdeck?

Um no.

Very much no.

Wife had it on a couple of her bikes, but with the advent of cheap, reliable and accurate GPS computers, we took it all off a couple of years ago. Not worth the bar space to mount it.

Re:

"Flight decks" ... "cadence measuring devices" ...

boy, cycling sure got complicated at some point in time. It used to be just a boy or a girl and his/her bike. Then, a kickstand, basket, a speedo (not the kind eastern-Euro men wear to the beach), and a generator-driven light set.

Now ... GPS, cadence-figuring software, and a direct link to the NSA, FBI, and Interpol ...

ishaw":38wjpxz0 said:
So what are the bar mounted buttons for then? Learning something new every day.
Changing what's displayed, speed, cadence, gear ratio, gear selection etc etc.
Stopping and starting timers too.

Re: Re:

k-rod":10ty9ugq said:
Now ... GPS, cadence-figuring software, and a direct link to the NSA, FBI, and Interpol ...
TBH, i'd like to see what linking a Garmin to the NSA actually does.

You'd be able to hear the swearing of the NSA IT guys from here.

mattr":qgkzmmi1 said:
ishaw":qgkzmmi1 said:
So what are the bar mounted buttons for then? Learning something new every day.
Changing what's displayed, speed, cadence, gear ratio, gear selection etc etc.
Stopping and starting timers too.
For some reason I thought you could do that on the head unit (I should really unbox it and take a look inside). So all those ugly wires on the handlebars are really just for changing the display? Hmmm

Back