Hope screw on freehub body question - help please?

markoc

Orange 🍊 Fan
Hi

On the weekend I found a set of Hope ti wheels in the garage that I'd forgotten about (as you do...) which are probably mid 90's vintage.

I'm going to take them to the LBS to get them trued and tightened but I need a screw on freehub body as the hub itself has a thread to attach it to.

Do these even exist anymore - and if so what should I be asking for as it is a long long time since I even remember seeing one ? It will need to be 7/8 speed and I'll be using spacers to run a singlespeed single ring on the back.

Thanks in advance

Mark

There is no such thing as a screw-in freehub body. It's a freewheel.
You need something like this:
sram-sprint-16t-1-8-freewheel-00120248-9999-1.jpg

The problem you will find with your Hope hub is that the axle spacing is designed for a seven speed freewheel. This puts it very close to the centreline and it is hard to get a decent chainline.

There is a trick I devised for my own singlespeed: knock out the axle and fit it the other way round with the right hand spacers on the left etc. However you also need to build the wheel the other way round with reverse dish. This gets the chainline right as it puts the freewheel further to the right. I did this 8 years ago and have done thousands of miles since. See below:
19438138743_cc1469102b_c.jpg

If your planning on running it geared then the Sachs ly97 8 speed block is the rocking hose poo you require. Perhaps try this, it's a bit low on range, easy to just run bigger rings at the front innit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Sachs-L ... Sw2xRYjKFK

or this for seven speed, ly 99 mmmmmmmm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-NOS-M ... Swo4pYimXf

If your planning on running it singlespeed then do as the man suggests... or send him the parts not your lbs haha :p

BTW you can't do both at the same time :?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
hamster":2p9cxhdw said:
There is no such thing as a screw-in freehub body. It's a freewheel.
You need something like this:
sram-sprint-16t-1-8-freewheel-00120248-9999-1.jpg

The problem you will find with your Hope hub is that the axle spacing is designed for a seven speed freewheel. This puts it very close to the centreline and it is hard to get a decent chainline.

There is a trick I devised for my own singlespeed: knock out the axle and fit it the other way round with the right hand spacers on the left etc. However you also need to build the wheel the other way round with reverse dish. This gets the chainline right as it puts the freewheel further to the right. I did this 8 years ago and have done thousands of miles since. See below:
19438138743_cc1469102b_c.jpg

Oh my giddy aunt thats soooo pimp, white industries freewheel?? props most certainly due

DrJo":2kj7h9n7 said:
Oh my giddy aunt thats soooo pimp, white industries freewheel?? props most certainly due

Yep, well spotted, WI freewheel. :cool:
Lovely clicky sound, bombproof construction and now not looking stupidly expensive - the cruddy Shimano one (which has no seals whatsoever) is now over £30. I did a rebuild after 5 years for £8 with bearings from my local industrial bearing supplier. The pawls were unworn.

The chainline with a Middleburn UNO is spot on with a 110mm bottom bracket.

Thanks for the quick answers. Perhaps my terminology wasn't right, or my thought processes are a bit off.

So I need a screw on freewheel for a non disc hope hub if I want to continue to run the single speed kit I currently have?

Something I'd have thought looks like this:

images

I like the idea as shown in the first response but am trying to do this on a bit of a budget.

Does your hub look like this?
shopping

If so, it's a hub for screw-on freewheels. What you are showing is a cassette hub body.

That is exactly what I have - so if I find a screw on freewheel I'll be OK?

Thanks for your continued patience, it's like trying to remember my GCSE Latin from 20 years ago... I've got a faint recollection of how things work but in practice not a clue!

Back