Headset & Restoration Help with 1995 Kona Cinder Cone

unofficial

Dirt Disciple
Hey everybody! I recently got a 95 Cinder Cone that is in pretty great shape, pics up soon, but one thing that is messed up is the headset. I don't think this bike needs much work so I thought I would keep it simple: new headset, V-brakes, and new cables & housing.

What I wonder is what headset will be compatible with it? I'm guessing I will need a 1-1/8 threaded headset? It has the original P2 TB fork. Ideas?

As for the rest I think its under control, I'm thinking of an orange highlight scheme with the new cables and pedals, like I said I'll do some before after pics once I get the headset stuff sorted,

Cheers!

Re:

Hi unofficial :)

Hey everybody! I recently got a 95 Cinder Cone that is in pretty great shape, pics up soon, but one thing that is messed up is the headset. I don't think this bike needs much work so I thought I would keep it simple: new headset, V-brakes, and new cables & housing.

What I wonder is what headset will be compatible with it? I'm guessing I will need a 1-1/8 threaded headset? It has the original P2 TB fork. Ideas?

I think you will find this link most helpful :)

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

My advice is to buy the very best you can , as you could be replacing headset quite often if they are low quality units ;)

Hope this helps

Ian

Re:

Im pretty sure it's 1-1/8 threaded (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but the choices for that size seem pretty limited. There is a new Ritchie Logic but as you stated the quality on this seems low based on peoples feedback and would mean frequent replacement. I have found literally no other options other than sourcing an old used one, was hoping somebody here had some ideas.

Re:

if you're willing to go new, try Cane Creek ... they still make a wide range of retro-size options (I got a fabulous 1" threaded from them not too long ago).

Hope headsets last well and are in the 'quality but without being silly expensive' sort of price bracket. Even 5 years on the tandem has failed to wreck a Hope (tandems eat headsets), another one has done 10 years on my singlespeed MTB.

The top rarely wears - it's the bottom that takes a pounding and gets sprayed with muck. As you can now buy Hope bottoms on their own, you can pair it with the existing threaded top.

Re:

unofficial :)

Im pretty sure it's 1-1/8 threaded (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but the choices for that size seem pretty limited. There is a new Ritchie Logic but as you stated the quality on this seems low based on peoples feedback and would mean frequent replacement. I have found literally no other options other than sourcing an old used one, was hoping somebody here had some ideas

It sounds right for the period , but I'm no Kona expert :) , I'm sure someone on here will confirm this for you before I finish typing :LOL:

Also if you look in the archives on the forum, you should find a catalog with the original specs in :)

The Ritchey headset are not the highest quality out their but they are damm good value for money, you could do a lot lot worse.

I've actually been using 'Ritchey' headsets and not really had any major issues, other than the actual unit working loose more often than I'd like, but I think the application of a thread lock solvent would resolve this.

Above all the correct fit , and a regular maintenance schedule are key.

A complete strip down, degrease and close inspection of all interior parts, especially the ball bearings, ball races are essential, liberal helpings of good quality grease when reassembling also goes a long way :)

If you want the best out their , it has to be a Chris King Headset , which , I must admit , my original thought was ' :shock: Jesus, HOW MUCH !! ' :D , but now having actually owned one for well over 4 years , it was worth every penny :)

I've never had to touch it :cool: , plus all the 'Chris King' headset carry a 10 year guarantee, which has to say something about the quality :)

The 'Chris King' headsets are available in loads of colours , and configurations , Threadless and threaded versions too.

All the individual parts of the headset are readily available , should you ever break anything.

A big plus side for me is they look beautiful to boot :)

Major down side however, is affording to buy enough of them for all my bikes :facepalm: :D

Ian

Re:

If you're running V's you'll need a cable stop solution for the rear. There are sorts of ways of doing it, none if them particularly pretty.

Re:

Thanks for the replies so far! Some food for thought and good resources!

I think the main problem is finding a threaded headset in that size, threaded 1 inch us common but every 1-1/8 seems to be unthreaded.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back