Restoring an old post or two

Mr Universe

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just thought I'd pop in and show you my handy work so far :) , restoring and reusing is the name of the game :)

Take a tired seat post or two and give them a little makeover :)

Ian

Now youve got us interested, spill the beans on what wad done.

Are they repainted/reanodised, how is the logo restored, painted or decal?

Re to

Thanks for Showing interest , the posts or other items are individually assessed and then if the original decal can be retained , they are left well along , if this is not possible then they are re-touched/drawn in by hand.

The actuai seatpost sections are normally taken back to the bare metal and either reanodised Or re-painted in stages , I build up the paint layers, flat back, and proceed as required, finally once I'm happy, the paint is sealed and it's off to the oven to preserve the new finish.

One good thing I've found is on the final required finish, the original black shimano colouration can be recreated or can be slightly altered to suit needs , for example I have a project bike in the works and the finish on this frame is more of a satin black finish instead of the original shimano glossy finish, using the original shimano black finish sticks out like a sore thumb, so this enables me to blend and colour match the seatpost to match the frame , imho giving a nicer overall finish to the project :)

Not great at explaining but hopefully you get the idea :) , I'm in the process currently of restoring a set of true temper bars that were to all intense and purposes scrap, but after some tinkering they are now looking nearly new, further on these in a later post :)

If anyone is looking for any restorations like this being undertaken , drop me a line and I'll see if I can help you, it's nice to save those old parts, which again imho is something that everyone should be trying to do :)

Ian

Good work & looking forward to seeing the handlebars also.
Far too much fitting of NOS parts on here for my liking.

Thanks minor_LEGEND , Totally agree, , NOS parts have their place ,.... for when the old ones are totally beyound salvaging imho

Plus, why the hell buy NOS parts when most of the old one can be restored :) , it's part of the fun imho.

I'll try and get a pic up tomorrow of the bars , working on one or two other little bits and pieces too ;)

Re:

@ minor_Legend and anyone else following this :)

Here's progress so far on the True Temper handlebars, as you can see from the first picture they were in a sorry state.

I have refinished the main handlebar tube , just the logos to redraw

I'm very pleased with my progress so far, being able to 'tart' things like this makes it all the hobby for me.

I'll update on the bars once I've completed the Logos :)

Ian

Re:

Excellent work, really impressive! Where are you based and would you be interested in doing some more (for payment obviously)?

Back