2nd gen Judy internals

development_cycle

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
ok so I have a set that are fooked, and so that I can get the bits I need can anyone tell me what should be in there?

So far I have removed the type 2 top spring and one sort of three inch long elastomer on one side but nothing else came out, on the other just the top spring and some crumbly bits of old rubber :(

What do you mean by second version? Witch year?
The early Judys hat all elastomere spring stacks that came out on top if you removed the top caps. Inside the upper tubes there was a dummy rod on the right side and a plastic dampening cartridge on the left.
Later versions (97/98 iicr) had the plastic cartridge replaced by aluminium and a few minor tweaks. They came with spring/elastomere mixed stacks.
Then in 99 RS introduced the Hydracoil Judys with no elastomeres and an open oil bath dampening.

The dampening part on all of those only come out if you separate the casting from the top tubes and remove the circlips at the bottom of the top tubes.

Re:

My understanding is that mine are a very early version of the 97, spring at the top and elastomer underneath but they are longer pieces, one or two per leg

There are so many Judys around that dont have their original spring stack inside any more...

If your setup does not work: I would try to find a set of '99/00 springs for your weight and just use those.
It would look something like this:
FSX_Hydracoil_small-002.jpg

You just need to make sure, that the springs dont mash up your topcaps. I usually use one old elastomere cut in half. It fits inside the top cap and the spring then rests on the elastomere. I other words: In the picture there is a white plastic part between the spring and the top cap. This is where I use that elastomere half.

PS: Here is the '97 Manual for downlaod:
http://my-sport.spb.ru/manual_1/1997%20 ... h%20sl.pdf
It has a nice exploded few of the internal parts.

Re:

Type2 is 1997 and some lower end in 1998.
But I still class these as first gen. Second gen would usually be the Hydrocoils.

The forks are all the same until then.
Spring or elastomers or both at the top.
Cartridge oil damper in a leg bolted to the bottom of the lower leg. But sits in the stanchion lower.

P.s. the S.I.D. 2000 catalogue has the exploded diagrams for all the forks and year up to and including.2000.

The archive also has the service guide and manuals for the fork up to and including 1998.

There are a few guides on the forum to.

Re:

Interesting as my XC's have the crown with removable upper legs and internals that match the exploded diagram for the DH, although only one hollow bolt at the bottom. Also I can see without digging about that there is only one elastomer under the spring. I'm going to dig around and see if I have any spares. I assume though that a stack of the smaller ones with spacers between with an identical overall length would work fine

The dh version of the fork had a damper in each leg, rebound and compression which used hollow bra in both to allow adjustment. The SL only had rebound damper, hence only one hollow bolt.

You could just find a replacement elastomer, or replace it and the type 2 springs with a full length spring in each leg.

Thanks Ian, looking to sell these on, didn't know the innards were fubar so just looking to make them useable for the new owner without spending too much, don't like selling duds, bought enough myself over the years from here and other places to know how pissed off it can make you.

Got a "nice" set of mk1 Judy's from here only to find way down the line when I took them apart that there is no damper in either leg, just two dummy rods !!

Latest posts

Back