Removing surface rust.

videojetman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have these fork legs with surface rust. What would be best to remove the surface rust, clean and polish them without scratching the metal. Not too bothered about them being perfect, just to make them look better.
Thanks.
Jeff.

Attachments

• IMG_1744.JPG
    IMG_1744.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 823
Raid the kitchen :twisted: & make your own rust remover. You can use vinegar, baking soda & even potatoes to remove rust. If you want to make larger quantities, get some Borax off ebay.

Get some 0000 grade steel wool. Soak it in WD 40. Try and keep it loose and gently rub the area. Don't get the drips on anything as it will stain. It looks to me like some of those rust spots may have eaten past the finish but I may be wrong. Dry with a soft damp cloth and then polish. Works a treat.

I'd be tempted to go a bit further on those forks. Get rid of as much rust if not all, treat, prime and paint. If you want to keep the chrome, I'd go at them first with some metal polish to tidy them up a bit and you should then be able to see the extent of the worse bits and decide on a coarse of action for those from the options above.

Thanks for the ideas.
I will see how they look once I have removed the surface rust.
But these are only for the wife's bike so they don't have to be perfect.

Re:

If the rust has damaged the chrome but you want to keep it this way, use some zinc coating on the bare metal to prevent more rusting. You will see the difference in finnish, but it won't rust. Downside: if you don't like the difference you'l have to sand it of to get rid of it, so if you try work carefully with a small pencil and apply just a thin layer.

videojetman":1uy2zjdn said:
Thanks for the ideas.

Trust me with the oxalic acid I've done a million chrome bmx's with it & it's cheap off eBay, or coke & foil

videojetman":16zkyldh said:
Thanks for the ideas.
Blimey! Your brave! If I dared say it's only the wife's bike it doesn't have to be perfect, I'd be strung up by the ball sack! :D

Back