Looking for Info on Dia-Compe XE01 Cantilever brakes

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I'm at a bit of a loss with this.

I have a 1992 DBR Response frame I'm planning a catalogue build on.

I'm pretty clear what I need, but the 92 Catalogue says they had Dia-Compe EX01 canti's.

I can't find any reference to these anywhere else, other than the DBR catalogue. Looking at the picture they appear to be black........but that's as much as I can tell.

Were they just 987s or 988s or is this a different model alll together? I always thought that the model numbers all started 9**

Any clear pictures of orifginal Dia-Compe brakes on a DBR, or info on these elusive EX01s would be most appreciated.

Cheers :D

Re:

May have stumbled upon an answer....

s-l225.jpg

They look a lot like 986s. I'm guessing they're just from a groupset.

Re:

Better picture:

suntour-x1-bremsensatz.jpg

That makes some sense I guess. Dia-compe made a lot of brakes for Suntour groupsets.

Re:

Cool. I loved mine – had them in regular use from '92 until 2014, when a couple of the springs broke. For cantilevers, they were pretty awesome stoppers. Good luck with the build.

It's entirely possible I have a nos set of these brakes in the garage. Should have some s7 levers as well I reckon.

ishaw":eovvrr17 said:
It's entirely possible I have a nos set of these brakes in the garage. Should have some s7 levers as well I reckon.

If you do I will be your friend forEVER. :D

Re:

I have the 1992 catalog in front of me right now - says the Response comes with Dia Compe XCM brakes with Dia Compe XCE brake levers. Hope this helps :)

Re: Re:

millsm":1xapd1ag said:
I have the 1992 catalog in front of me right now - says the Response comes with Dia Compe XCM brakes with Dia Compe XCE brake levers. Hope this helps :)

That's interesting.

The 1992 catalogue in the achieve says Dia-compe Short Stop alloy/resin 3 finger levers and EX01 alloy low profile cantilevers.

Which seems to translate to SS5s and 986s.

Interesting that DBR seem to quote models from the Suntour Groupsets rather then the Dia-Compe stand alone ranges.

Back