Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Thought I'd post up the latest victim in the fight against 'Paperweightness'

Two ride's in from NOS :facepalm: , disappointed.com

Anyway, good while it lasted :roll:

Could be time to check those flanges guys :) :oops:

Ian

Do these have a reputation for snapping? Doesn't look any different to shimano and other hubs in the flange area so may be just bad luck?

Re:

I think a lot of the "boutique" components, Paul's, Ringle, Hope (at the time) were milled from billet aluminium, which isn't very strong, better components were forged, then finished. Forging compresses the metal making it denser and also aligns crystal structures and strengthens bonds within the metal making it much stronger.

The thing is, milling machines are relatively cheap, so small companies can afford them and create parts from billet and anodise them pretty colours relatively cheaply. Whereas forging machines are massive and the tooling to make different components really expensive, so not really affordable for a company that's only going to turn out a few thousand items at a time.

Stick to Shimano. :D

Mate of mine used to be a Crack Inspector.

Used to be quite funny after a few beers and pronounced in an Ali G style.

Re:

*OUCH*

I have a set of CK wheelset currently on one of my builds and i recently picked up an alternative Ringle wheelset and have been humming and hawing about which to keep for the bike. Perhaps I should pass on the Ringle while I still can! :p :roll: :LOL:

Typical for those ringle hubs. I know a few guys that had them crack while hanging on the wall...

Re:

Exactly the same has just happened to me. Right across two spokes on my new Ringle SuperBubba front hub. I happened to be standing a few feet away from the bike, which was just leaning against the wall having not been ridden for over a week, and there was a sudden loud crack which actually made be jump. :shock:

Remind me again why we have this addiction to paying high prices for 20-odd year old parts....?.....

Jolly frustrating.... :cry:

Star12

Re: Re:

Star12":1g9may8b said:
Exactly the same has just happened to me. Right across two spokes on my new Ringle SuperBubba front hub. I happened to be standing a few feet away from the bike, which was just leaning against the wall having not been ridden for over a week, and there was a sudden loud crack which actually made be jump. :shock:

Remind me again why we have this addiction to paying high prices for 20-odd year old parts....?.....

Jolly frustrating.... :cry:

Star12

Sad news buddy :evil:

Back