Kona Fire Mountain 1992 Singlespeed

caemis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi,
can someone please confirm the seatpost size of a 1992 Kona Fire Mountain?
I measurred 26,0?!

Thanks, Marco

Re:

From bitter experience and trial and error, it will be either 26.4 or 26.6 :facepalm:

I have a brand spanking new 26.4 in silver here if you fancy giving that a try for a tenner posted....otherwise you may be better off trying to find a LBS with one of those gauge post thingies, but they're not as common as they used to be, again from experience locally.

Does someone recognize this frame - I would like to know some of its history - when happens the welding and who did this?

Cheers!

O dear! I really should have ask this month ago! How does it ends up in a bike charity shop in exeter on ebay?? Shit! But thanks, that this riddle was solved before further investments...

Re:

I gave it away to a chap on here who lived down that way, he was going to try and do something with it. I can only assume he passed it on to the recycle charity, I know it was local to him.

I did see it on eBay and really meant to highlight to them the issues I had with it, but to be honest I kind of assumed they either knew and had fixed them, or the listing described them (I looked briefly, didn't think to read the description at the time! :facepalm: )

Re:

Hmm, think there were other possible areas of cracks though, I would go over it very carefully if I were you.

Probably all repairable but I lost faith it it! Shame, as it was what I had wanted for a very long time, I wish I could afford to get another Kona frame and have single speed drop outs welded on to it by a proper frame builder.....

Apart from this and the rust spots all over the frame it seems that the heavy tube set Kona used for the Fire Mountain kept it alive... I'll get rid of the rust as far as I could and will see whats left. My idea for the build was a budget racer for a travel in a few months to avoid renting scrappy bicycles and paying a fortune... But maybe its time to get a torch out.
Good night!

Back