UK alternatives to Frank the Welder

TheRealYeti

Retro Newbie
Looking to start the restoration of my 93 Yeti ARC which has multiple cracks in the head tube. Seems Frank the Welder in the US has done a few of these repairs and his work looks pretty good. Can anyone recommend a similar company on the UK? or had experience in sending stuff to the States for repair?

Re:

If restoring a Yeti I would not look at the shipping cost to get it repaired. Compaired to the rest itd peanuts. If you can get ftw to repair the frame go for it.

Just my 2 cents

Re:

... or ... better yet ... get yourself a frame that won't crack just from being looked at.

;)

Re: Re:

k-rod":23ewbwvr said:
... or ... better yet ... get yourself a frame that won't crack just from being looked at.

;)

:facepalm: Thats the most bewildering line I've read for a long time...
He came looking for support not low rent sarcasm, any brand made from Aluminium eventually fails, steel rusts like hell and carbon fails so don't flame him

If we want to be sensible then buy a modern 29, that'll come with suspension that works, brakes that stop you, a ride position that's more comfortable, will probably weigh less and go faster for the same amount of effort

If that's what the chap wanted he wouldn't be on a retro forum.

If you're gonna get it repaired then going to Frank is as good as its going to get and plenty have, and I've yet to read a single post of anyone regretting it.

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":5rsunldl said:
k-rod":5rsunldl said:

;)

:facepalm: Thats the most bewildering line I've read for a long time...

If we want to be sensible then buy a modern 29, that'll come with suspension that works, brakes that stop you, a ride position that's more comfortable, will probably weigh less and go faster for the same amount of effort

If that's what the chap wanted he wouldn't be on a retro forum.

Why 'bewildering' ... there are dozens of retro-bikes that are solid, dependable, and long-living. By the sounds of it ("multiple cracks"), the frame in question is a poorly designed shit-box that can't hold its own for the purpose that it was built. Unless the owner has it seriously up-graded/re-enforced (by FTW), then it'll likely succumb to the same design flaws and weaknesses over time. However, if he does that (have it up-graded), then is it still an 'original' retro-machine ... or a new and improved/up-dated version of a bike?

On the other hand, I was being a bit facetious in my original post - a little tongue-in-cheek humor ...

I've always found that Argos Racing Cycles in Bristol have been top notch for frame repairs FWIW.

Re:

Argos only do steel frames, the ARC is aluminium so i'd be surprised if they'd do it.

i should imagine finding a good aluminium welder in the UK shouldn't be too hard but he may not be a specific bike frame welder, i know my old boss at GA cycles in southampton has had aluminium frames welded in the past but i'm not sure by who.

also, Moderator hat on, K-rod, your comments did read pretty harsh when i just read them, please try and be a little more polite/helpful rather than referring to someones frame as a shit box, ARC's did crack, so did many other frames, Yeti frames would be worth saving, taiwanese production stuff with cracks would be more likely referred to the shit box category.

Back