Klein Myth V Reality

RobMac

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I've never owned or ridden a Klein before what's the ride quality/handling like?
I'm talking about the pre Trek ones.
I do have my own opinion based on logic but more of that later.

Re:

My 1996 Adroit (built pre-Trek, sold post) is one of the best vintage MTBs I've ever ridden. Granted it was basically a brand new bike so every part was probably as good as it could be, but I'd say it surpassed or equaled my 1993 Brodie and Yo Eddy as my best all round trail bike.

Having built a lot of vintage Mtbs I'd say (in most cases) fit, brakes, and drivetrain come before frame in the hierarchy of what makes a good rider.

I loved mine. But allu is most certainly a 'dead' feel to the ride. After riding an Orange BITD steel had much more life and feel to it. The early Kleins 90/91 certainly did crack easily. Around the seat post clamp and back of the square fork. My Attiude 93 was perfect. Wish id bought the 95 Adroit 20 anniversary. Bet when they come up for sale they will be £££££ a bike ahead of their time.
thats my 2p

I had a 1991 Attitude, it rode beautifully but it cracked where Tintin40 said. My 1999 Adroit (similar to the one in the pic above, post trek but still built at Chealis in Kein Factory), rode grat and didn't give any problems, but the ride was duller than the 91 model (!). As far as alu goes, both bikes were way better than a Yeti Kokopellio.

For a comparison, I've had a 1991 Merlin, a Ritchey Softail, two DBR Axis Ti and the ride was more inspiring, even if the Kleins were better sprinters. The best vintage bike I've tried was a Slingshot.

Re:

Here's my 2006 Klein Attitude 650B conversion. Its a pretty great riding bike as well. I had a 2000 and a 2002 both with suspension and this was much better with the 650B tires. Rolls faster and is really lively. It lives up at the cottage and rides mostly on the pre-Cambrian shield. Its perfect for that.

I loaned a friends fully rigid attitude in ~around 93 & rode it around dartmoor for a week where it was so stiff & light it was awesome on smoother climbs & trails, esp out of the saddle sprinting & steep climbs where theres not a hint of flex, but on rougher downhills & trails was bordering on unpleasant. the adroits & attitudes are very pretty, but for actual riding I'd fit a suspension fork every time.

i was surprised at how much drag the 1 9/16 headset had, but perhaps it needed new bearings. rear entry dropouts & internal cables. I can cope with both, but also dislike both.

later I owned a pinnacle & a fervor & cracked both, not abuse, just normal riding (admittadly I log a lot of miles). a few years later I had trek era klein attitude & that lasted a lot longer than the klein built frames.

Re:

got 1990 Attitude and Pinnacle. I love the stiff, lightweight and precise feeling they give. Stiff and surprisely a bit confortable and not so rough. But aluminum is a brittle material and Gary Klein tried to go to the limit. And years after years they could crack…

No doubt my 92 tude rode lovely but was incredibly similar to my m1000 but for the perfect ride in my opinion nothing touches my 89 wicked.

Re:

We need more actual 'ride' comparison threads like this. Had an early Dolomite and agree with the points above. Amazing to look at, fast on smooth trails. Most London owners on Kleins bitd tended to put the thinnest slicks on them, pumped up to track bike pressures. Kind of defeated the purpose but they looked cool.

Just way to stiff for me and i also wasnt a fan of the headset feel and thankfully i got my money back 6mths later. A serotta T Max was just as stiff but it had that steel 'give' so you could ride it all day. Steel and especially Ti all day for me. I had a Trek klein Attitude comp for a few months too, though it was a more forgiving ride, it didnt impress at all. Still love the look of the eary Klein paint jobs, especially Horizon Linear Fade :cool:

Re: Re:

M-Power":28inryaw said:
London owners on Kleins bitd tended to put the thinnest slicks on them, pumped up to track bike pressures. Kind of defeated the purpose but they looked cool.

I used the largest volume slicks I could find, and indeed that looked 'cool'. It was also a very practical way of adding suspension of sorts, and made a very flickable and rapid cross town machine.

As said, very similar ride to Cannondales of the time, which I was right into as well.

Logic shouldn't really come into it, as we are talking about riding the equivalent of Ferraris, and most logical people would be driving something rather less interesting. So much of what it is to drive a Ferrari is not to do with the same reasons one enjoys an Evo..

Back