manitou hardtail

ditonics

Retro Newbie
I am thinking about selling up my last ever serious MTB.

I have a Manitou HT that I have had from new, approx 1994 I think.
It has all round good hardware on it and all period correct. XT/XTR group set. Flight titanium saddle, middle burn cranks, pace bar, mavic rims with ss double butted spokes, bullseye front hub, manitou forks etc

I bought it about the time I discovered women and alcohol so it did very little work and I was using a Klein Attitude as my race bike.

I keep reading about them cracking, where are they known to go?

Any help/insights welcomed

I've seen a few pictures of these frames with cracked head tubes, though I could be wrong as the fs was definitely prone to cracking in that area, amongst others.

Manitous cracked pretty much everywhere,bottom bracket shells,rear stays and (more commonly)the headtube.I have the last development of the Doug Bradbury Manitou frame,a Tomac Buckshot Pro.They were extensively improved and seem to be lasting the test of time.

Re:

If mine is not cracked does it have much of a value as a complete bike or would I be better off parting it out?

Cracks are hairline and not easily spotted,you need to closely examine the frame.They are an excellent frame but I wouldnt trust one even sans crack.I was a massive fan of these but had to settle on the Tomac/Bradbury version for piece of mind.

Re: Re:

ditonics":woqdmktd said:
If mine is not cracked does it have much of a value as a complete bike or would I be better off parting it out?

Usually (but not all the time) you'll get a bit more cash overall and more rapid sales by splitting. I guess because people are more likely to want individual parts than the whole, plus their individual outlay is less. The downside is the time to disassemble and more trips to the post office.

Where are you based?

ditonics":1b2ovfjr said:
I keep reading about them cracking, where are they known to go?

I've had a few cracked ones, both early bradbury & later answer built. cracked at the sides of the headtube & dropouts.

Back