Best bike shops that cater for retro builds

mezzanine

Retro Guru
Tell me which you've had great experience dealing with and any bad points from the not so good ones. I can work on my bike myself luckily but sometimes and I'm sure others will feel the same have a job that I just don't have the tools or time to do. Another reason I bring up this topic is some bike shops just look at you oddly that you've got just an old bike and "hey why not buy a 2017". :oops:

Any shops with the old tools that don't mind working on our retro bikes or is it not worth bothering them with large builds even if you don't mind the labour costs, what's your experiences, any gems of a workshop out there that welcome our rusty old bikes to restore?

Re:

Both Stans & Dave Mellor's in Shrewsbury are more than happy to work on older bikes. Stans have built several sets of wheels up for me.

I enjoy working on my bikes, but finding somewhere like that would be useful. I think projects would get done a fair bit quicker.

I did have a good local, might still be ok. But the guy there that I really trust left, and last time i went in I couldnt even get 2x 26 inch tyres for my modern bike.

The shop I work for is retro friendly (we have a very nice klein in at the mo, just done a Raleigh ti team too) Louth Cycle Centre in Lincolnshire if you're in the area

Re:

Jam Price at the lovely Worcester Cycle Centre really enjoys it! Sorted a couple of Fat issues for me.

John from Barbourne cycles (also Worcester) is also very good.

Re:

cherrybomb":3kw8lihb said:
Both Stans & Dave Mellor's in Shrewsbury are more than happy to work on older bikes. Stans have built several sets of wheels up for me.

Yep, both of them have been around forever! Used to buy my stuff from Dave back in the day (including my first proper MTB in 1989). Lee in Stans used to work in Stans around the same time IIRC, and is still there! Sandy at Trailhead is an old monner too (meant in the nicest possible way), and likes his older stuff as well as super expensive Santa Cruz bikes.

I used to work at SJSC, they were fantastic bitd, however a lot of the old mechanics & staff with the knowhow have gone. They should still be good but will depend on who you deal with no doubt.

I am still a working bike technician & am available for repairs & servicing etc in the Somerset area.

Latest posts

Back