1985 ridgeback mtb advice needed - headset

hosepipe

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I have an old 1985 ridgeback, and the headset is shot to bits. Trying to figure out what type of headset it needs and what would be a really nice one to search for - It deserves an upgrade!

The ace people on the single track forum gave me some advice and also mentioned it might be worth asking here. Apparently it might be 1" threaded but there are two possible crown race sizes (internal diameter)....26.4mm and 27.0mm??

Can anyone help on what I should look out for. Maybe an old steel campag record one, or an old XT one?

1exvko.jpg

n4tm5y.jpg

Re:

Check out my post titled ' Happy 30th Birthday ' ( 9th November )

My bike had a rusted and worn out headset. I fitted a NOS Specialized alloy headset.

I still have the plastic box it came in with the sizes marked on it, however it is out of
reach at present. Will try to get to it later.

Just found my original notes from the rebuild, these indicate a 30.2mm o/d with a 26.4mm i/d
however the steerer tube was replaced with a new one so I cannot be certain about this. I suspect that the
damaged tube was originally 27.0mm dia

Sorry this is not much help ! I think you will have to strip it down and measure it, don't forget to
check on the 'stack height' as well as this is just as important

Nice to see another early Ridgeback

Re:

What a lovely old beast! Agree that XT would be lovely, but there's plenty of NOS Tange and the like going cheap (ish) on eBay. The only safe way of knowing whether it's ISO (26.4mm) or JIS (27.0mmm) is to knock the old race off and measure it. Obviously that means that the bike is grounded inbetween the measuring and the arrival of the new 'set, which sucks, unless you have the tools to throw it back together quickly. Whereabouts are you? I've got a NOS Suntour Superb that might be lovely on there...

hi elPedro... i was thinking that might be the best option. Kermit you seem pretty sure it's 27.0, so I'd better hammer it all out, double check, and Pedro if your Suntour headset matches can I ping you an email ? many thanks for all your help.. Nick (near Chichester). ps. I think it's pretty much all original... I've added an old deore triple since the pic was taken. The wheels are desperate for help, all spokes super slack, and the headset is bad, but apart from that it's all ok . bought from a house clearance in north london, it was in the back of a van with a load of old furniture..

That really is a nice old thing. Great find!
XT headsets are a nice unit but I do think a Suntour suits it better, or indeed a Tange.

I'm sold on the suntour idea. Will get on with it. Does anyone have a mafac front cable hanger I can buy for it?

Back