Removing original foam grips to reuse

16vGTI

Retro Guru
I need to remove the original 27 year old foam grip from my bars so I can change the stem. It's in great condition so I want to put it back on after. Is there a tried & trusted method for removal without stretching it & causing damage? I've seen some spraying WD40 down but would that make it liable to spin when its back on? Any advice would be appreciated, cheers! :D

Re:

A narrow, flat headed screwdriver carefully inserted between the grip & bar & then either liquid soap, or my favourite- hairspray. It will act as a lubricant while wet, but a glue once dry, so you can also use it to re-install them.

WD40 will also work, it retains it's lubricating qualities for longer but I can't guarantee it won't cause issues when you come to reinstall them as I've not tried it with foam grips. I just wash rubber ones out with soap once they're off.

Re: Re:

cherrybomb":lefz2a11 said:
WD40 will also work, it retains it's lubricating qualities for longer but I can't guarantee it won't cause issues when you come to reinstall them as I've not tried it with foam grips. I just wash rubber ones out with soap once they're off.

Your spot on, don't use WD40/GT85 on foam grips as you can't get the stuff out like you can on rubber grips as it gets in the sponge and doesn't dry like washing up liquid does and being hydrophobic you can't wash it off either.

I've used washing up liquid in the past to get them on, which works great and drys but I guess I used way too much as when the grips got wet they foamed up and slid round on the bars :facepalm:

Agree. Foam grips are somewhat single use, much like a condom. The only material that will actually remove them will inherently degrade them. Which foam grips do you seek?

Re: Re:

jonboy":3ne0swz3 said:
There is only one method - an old spoke and hairspray ! :D

Agreed, I use hair spray and a long slotted screwdriver, works a treat.

Re:

Here's my method, used for many years and many grips :)
Use an old electric kettle (to avoid contamination) Heat a good volume of water, and a submerged clean rag, up to boiling point. Wearing protective gloves (bricklaying type ideal) and a stick or similar remove the rag and wrap it around the grip to be removed. Repeat if necessary.
When the grip is well heated, and still wearing the gloves, loosen and remove grip, twisting as you go.
Grips can be replaced after heating them in the kettle. Small amount of detergent optional. Bonus with this method is that your grips will be very clean too, useful on coloured or very intricately patterned ones..
Regards,
Steve T.

Here's mine - came up with this all by myself this year after destroying various sets of expensive WCS foam grips down the years. Take one can of GT85, keeping the little red straw. Pull a tiny bit of the end of the grip free from the bar and wriggle the straw in just a little way, going slowly and taking care not to damage. Squirt a bit of GT85 in, wiggle it a bit further, squirt a bit more, wriggle a bit more and it soon comes off no trouble.

Use the GT85 sparingly (you really don't need much, just work it around). I haven't had any problems with reinstalling them.

Back