How easy to convert rear QR wheel to bolt up....??

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I ask as I've a decent XT hubbed rear wheel that I want to run in a single speed specific frame, and it's quick release. From past experience, no matter how hard I do it up, it will pull around a bit, if you see what I mean.

Shall I just buy a single speed specific rear wheel, or could I in theory convert this to bolt up without too much hassle...? Unfortunately the frame isn't the sort that will allow me to fit chain tugs, as there's a kind of lip, hopefully the pic shows what I mean.

Attachments

• drop out DB frame.JPG
    drop out DB frame.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 625
Most older 135mm axle rear hubs had a nutted option.
Buy one of those and swap the axles and sell the QR hub.
failing that I would have a look for a threaded axle with the same thread pitch and change it.

Re:

Aha! Good idea! I had one of those somewhere from years ago, think it was even Ti, what's the betting I gave it away in one of my famous Mystery Boxes....... :facepalm:

Arent you better of fitting adjustabke spacers in the slots, the axle gets pulled forwards, mainly on drive side, and these will stop the axle moving.

Re:

It should have them but they were lost, they cost a fortune to buy new ones, more than the frame owes me....... :facepalm:

My dmr frame has chain tugs that pull the wheels into the right position. I say my, it's a Christmas present for my wife and I've not ridden it yet. I'm using a qr rear and it doesn't seem to move about using these with limited testing. If your frame has 10mm drop outs you can get a kit from CRC. I actually have a spare set as the ones that came with the frame allow the use of a rear mech as part of the design, and the mech hanger was bent so I got some new ones. Let me know if you fancy giving them a go.

Re:

Ooh, thanks, I may take you up on that!
It's only supposed to be a cheap hack bike so I at least have something to ride in my 'waned retroness' state if I want to, it's a real mish mash of parts and nothing like a jumps bike :facepalm:

But I would like to run it single speed without spending time and money buying a new wheel or converting anything if I can.

If you want them I'm happy to send them over. Think of them as an Xmas present to help Stoke the retro fires a bit and hopefully preventing them from going out.

Back